Q&A Forums

Mechanic shop insulation Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Aug 08, 2007 05:53 PM
Mechanic shop insulation
Howdy everyone! Now is my turn to ask for some advice from those more experienced than myself. Looked at a project today, metal building, ambient temperature for the most part year round. Is a maintenance facility with open garage doors all down one side, zero insulation. Client would like to insulate the building to help keep the extreme sunshine from making the building basically a bake oven. Suggestion has been made to spray foam insulate the roofline and about 7 feet of the upper structure to help keep the radiant heat out. I can surely do this and advised client that we need then to cover the foam with sheet rock. I am curious if anyone knows any other measures we should consider.

Additionally I am wondering about using a ceramic coating on the entire exterior of the building to relieve heat loading as well as add life to the building.

Thanks in advance yall.

Kenneth
mason
Posted: Aug 08, 2007 07:26 PM
Research that I have seen indicate that any white coating with good reflectance and emissivity ratings will work as well as the ceramic coatings for reducing heat gain on sunny days. Contact the Cool Roof Rating Council for data on various coatings.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 05:10 PM
Why covering the foam with sheet rock?
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 06:13 PM
Code? .............. um yeah I think that is the reason.

Kenneth
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 06:34 PM
Ummmm? What code if I may ask?
mason
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 09:02 PM
You can cover the outside with sprayfoam (3 lb density) and cover it with a coating. There are elastomeric coatings that have passed UL 790 roof covering tests with unlimited slope. Building code officials typically will accept that for the walls and roof. If not, use a thermal barrier coating and cover it with a weather resistant coating on top of that..
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 05:29 PM
Thermocon or K-13 is a much better thermal barrier choice on pole barn interiors than drywall.

best wishes,

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.