Q&A Forums

FOAM DOME Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
David Pressler
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 08:47 PM
FOAM DOME
I plan to form a structure with drywall and spray the exterior with 3 inches of closed cell foam. Correct me if I'm wrong but now won't this form be strong enough to live in?
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 04:18 AM
Need more information on the construction of the Dome Home.....

are you planning on framing the dome then hanging the dryway and insulating from the outside?

please explain....
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 06:08 AM
I guess that depends on what density of closed cell foam that you are going to use. Interesting idea. If it were me, I would use a 3lb density. I would speculate that it would be strong enough, but not guarantee it. How are you going to secure it to the ground? You know of course that the foam will need to be coated with a coating to protect it from the sunlight. I would cut down all of the trees tall enough to hit the dome if they fell.

George
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 07:14 AM
i wouldnt live in... or build,, without some sort of engineering stamp on the design...
strong yes,,,strong enough to whether storms, winds, ect,,,doubt it...
sure wouldnt be my grey headed butt,,or my family's...
check this link out for good dome info...
http://www.monolithic.com/
(site is home of the "Rvalue fairy tale" author,,,dave south,,,)enjoy
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Jan 29, 2007 08:15 AM
The framing of the dome would consist of installing all door and window bucks and covering the steel dome frame with drywall that will be tied together with drywall screws on the outside run all electrical conduit and boxes then apply 3 inches of 2 LB closed cell foam to the entire exterior. Final step will be to apply shotcrete, gunnite or a new product called grancrete over rebar.
When completed it will be the same as other monolithic domes only exception is that the foam will be on the interior of the concrete, less efficient but an easier method of construction. Sometimes you have to give up some to gain some.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 08:46 PM
It will work well. You can't get enough wind to destroy a foamed dome if the foam is sprayed directly onto the structure. Make sure the rebar is anchored into the foundation and spray over the rebar/mesh to encapsulate it. It works.

Have fun,

olger
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Jan 31, 2007 08:06 AM
Once all window and door bucks are in place the entire exterior of the dome metal framing will be covered with drywall. The drywall will be screwed together so as to make a tight fit, using whatever means such as strips of lathe. The drywall will lay on top of the interior frame support. Then all electrical conduit and boxes will be mounted and plumbing if required through the drywall. Next step is to spray the whole exterior with 3 inches of 2LB closed cell foam.
David Pressler

Posted: Jan 31, 2007 08:11 AM
Once the structure has been foamed the final step will be to place steel rebar over the foam and spray either gunnite or shotcrete, another option would to hire 30 laborers and several concrete mixers and hand apply.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.