Q&A Forums

VOCs Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Feb 05, 2009 03:25 PM
VOCs
I've been getting some questions regarding VOC's being released while spraying. What can I tell customers when they ask me if spray foam gives off any VOC gases?
mason
Posted: Feb 05, 2009 03:34 PM
Sprayfoam is not considered to be a VOC emitter as are a lot of adhesives and solvent based paints. During application some VOCs may be released but after curing the it is very difficult to measure any chemical emissions from the foam. Many suppliers have performed testing on their foams. All of the foams in Canada are required to have testing for VOCs. Check with the foam supplier for additional data.
Posted: Feb 06, 2009 05:40 AM
cured puf emits no voc's
now we dont want to stick our noses over the large bung holes (i luv bein able to use that terminology in the world,,,isnt this professiong great???)of the raw materials and take a big snort...nope,,not good for the inner self...
the process of spray application does ad a few things to consider though,,,

i tell my customers "hey you dont hang out in a paint booth do ya? see the full face mask and filters here?"

they usually get the idea...

lots of airborne airesols (sp?) as we tighten the place up... anyone halo'd lately?

"if you can taste the smell,,you best be gettin"
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 08:39 AM
Hey foamdude, have you ever done any stand up comedy?
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 06:34 PM
uhh,,,no,,,
"its the fumes what got me this way"
duh

hope...
for change,,,
real change would be good too
Corey Degetaire
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 08:49 PM
foam dude, explain halo'd, there was a time that at the end of the day it took a while for the clouldy haze in my vision to go away. and i kept my nose out of the bunghole!!!

Has anyone ever experienced that?
SPFer
Posted: Feb 11, 2009 09:18 PM
Cloudy vision? Been there, done that.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 12, 2009 09:40 PM
I am a member of the halo club. Here is a good tip. Wear your respiratory protection equipment!

George
mason
Posted: Feb 13, 2009 01:11 PM
Halo vision comes from the catalyst. Wear goggles while spraying and you will not have it.
Posted: Feb 14, 2009 12:21 AM
your cornea is like 97% water
the water vapor that releases from the foam application contains airsol remanants of the catalyst package,,,
these airesols put an oily film on the outer aqueous layer of the cornea...
thus the halo effect...
this is a temporary condition, and according to the medical literature i could find on it, no harmful long term....

think about this in the conditioned attics we create,,things can get real tight real quick..
have your helpers wear full face as well...they can get halo'd too

i have only seen this with water based products,,,and it seems to be exacerbated (thats "made worse" for those of you from loma linda) when the ambient humidities are high..

we got halo'd way back when and wore the halo for 3 days,,i thought my hired man was gonna sue my booty,,,i kept tellin him it would go away tomrrow,,and after a couple of days,,,

halo where will you be tonite?
David Thacker
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 09:36 AM
Full face "fresh air" supplied respirator for everyone, and as much ventilation as can be supplied to the area being foamed, is the only way to hopefully avoid "Halo Eyes".

Dave

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.