Q&A Forums

Spraying over mold Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Robert Webster
Posted: Mar 05, 2008 07:25 PM
Spraying over mold
New home under construction... floors were soaked and now rim joists and underside of main floor are molding.. Gen Contractor is using oxymoldmx-500 mold killer for clean up.. Is this a good method? Could it have any effect on cc foam that is to be applied in rim joist and to underside of floor???
mason
Posted: Mar 07, 2008 07:45 AM
I am not an expert on mold remediation. But, make sure the remediation efforts are documented and any testing required after the remediation demonstrates that it has taken care of the problem before installing your foam. SPF will not stop mold that is on the wood and you want to have a relatively dry (paintable surface 18% moisture content of the wood substrate or less) before installing the foam.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 07, 2008 07:50 AM
Closed cell foam will kill mold. It cooks it. Molds cannot survive the exothermic heat and the ensuing encapsulation.

I discussed this issue last year with Roger Morrison, and their conclusion was the same. They have also experimented with petri dishes.

oG
Robert Webster
Posted: Mar 07, 2008 05:01 PM
Thanks guys... appreciate all input
Robert Webster
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 11:57 PM
Do you know of any documentation claiming ccSPF kills foam? just curious for myslf
Darren Gomez
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 01:31 AM
I am a licensed and certified mold remediator and foam insulator. The information here is correct in that extreme heat will kill mold (extreme heat kills most living things other than some types of bacteria). However,dead mold can cause just as many upper respiratory issues as active mold. This is caused by the microscopic "parts" of the mold being inhaled and causing upper respiratory irritation. Since SPF heats up the surface and seals ,then you are probably O.K. In saying that, If it were me, I would have it remediated first, document that and then apply SPF. We live in litigious times my friend. Any questions please feel free contact me.
mason
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 01:58 PM
Gomezda,

I agree, please do not spray over mold without it being treated by someone who specializes in the treatment of mold and will guarantee their work. You do not want to be holding the bag if something happens.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.