Q&A Forums

Spraying metal wall on building. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jeffrey Souder
Posted: Sep 05, 2007 06:35 PM
Spraying metal wall on building.
Mason,
Newby question here.
I was out to give a quote on a single wall of a factory today. They would like this wall insulated to keep cold out during the winter, but inside the wall are furnaces for aneelng metal, with the furnaces at 1200 degrees F when opened. I assume we would have to spray the exterior instead of the interior, which is no problem, but are there any concerns with any small holes in the metal sheething with foam being exposed through it.
I was planning on patching the holes, primering, spraying 1 1/2" closed cell , then a UV coating.
Any concerns with the interior wall becoming too hot and causing the foam to seperate?
Should I consider adding a intumiscent paint to the interior as well, as a safety?
Also the top section of the building is not metal paneling, but plastic allowing light in, and they would like them sprayed as well, but I told them I may not be able to since it would not be able to support the foam. Am I right?

Thank you,
Newbie Jeff
mason
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 04:36 PM
Sprayfoam will start to turn color, lose its physical properties and char around 200 degrees F. The best way is to insulate the hot surface with a high temperature foam then spray over that. We used to do that with hot tanks and pipes in refineries frequently.

So check the metal temperature if it is well under 200 degree F you should be OK. Ask your supplier for their recommendations.

The closed cell foam should be ok against the plastic. In fact it should add some strength to it. But you may require an adhesive primer to ensure adequate adhesion.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.