Q&A Forums

master pack Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
philip mullins
Posted: Sep 05, 2007 01:03 AM
master pack
clicked on thier link here at the site and to check out thier rental program and i found this at the top of thier page in bright red letters...

This program eliminates the need to purchase expensive equipment or hire a spray foam contractor.

i am not sure how i feel about this.

what do you think?
mason
Posted: Sep 05, 2007 08:34 AM
Do they rent an applicator to go with the rig?

That could make a huge difference. If not, sounds very risky. Sprayfoam applications require highly skilled technicians to install it correctly.
philip mullins
Posted: Sep 05, 2007 11:43 AM
3. MASTER PACK visits & trains foam operator on site

i find it a little disturbing. builders who come here to find an installer may decide to do it themselves. and worse than that builders all over the country can possibly do a halfassed job. i know that is stereotypical, and many builders probably do quality work. but, it could be a real possibility, if this catches on, that the reputation of spray foam could be comprimised by inadiquate(?) installations.

i relize that this is an open market. and if we lose money to savy competitors, thats just life. but, to be honest, i dont like seeing it where i spend my advertising dollars. seems almost like a conflict of interest. and money a little less well spent. but, like i said, thats just life. if i were them, i would be advertising here too.
Posted: Sep 05, 2007 12:06 PM
just yesterday we recieved the call from "bubba"...who asked "do you folks have any of that sprayfoam equipment for sale? see i gots me a pole barn here and i gots me a bid for $$$ from XXXfoam and i sees that i can buy the foam on ebay for $1700 so i figures shoot,,,i aint payin him to do this work,,,i worked in construction before and i can do anything...so i figures im gonna buy me some equipment and spray my own shed and then sell the equipment on ebay."

serious this is just about how it went...

then there was the call that followed(same day,,serious..)that the guy tried to froth pack his home and only got about 1/3 up the wall..(seems he ran out of product and time so they rocked it with 1/3 the insulation in place).so now that they have removed some drywall(1' strip around the perimeter) to place some wireing could i just squirt up through the holes and finish the insulation job..friggin moron...

then there was the call last week..."should there be liquid stuff running out of the wall behind the siding? (newbee up the road about 20 miles these guys are screwing up wet dreams)

and i get these calls regularly...

do any of these folks selling to the DIY market assume any liablity for the f/u's of these applications?

should we be putting this into the hands of any joe blow...

are these vendors helping our industry or are they just trying to buy a new pair of wingtips-be-damned-the-long-term-effects...?
Michael Flander
Posted: Sep 05, 2007 03:12 PM
I get the exact same phone calls on the equipment side of things fd...

I have had people get flat out mad at me when I give them the price of equipment. "I can pay so and so to do it for that much!".

Exactly.

My 2 cents,
Mike Flander
Jeffrey Souder
Posted: Sep 05, 2007 06:32 PM
To me it seems the froth packs are very expensive, since it seems the average price from previous posts on the list is about $1.00/board foot, same price as a froth pack.
Doesn't make much sense to me.
philip mullins
Posted: Sep 05, 2007 06:51 PM
XXXFOAM?????? i likey! call bubba back and tell him to send his wife and his sister (only have to buy one bus ticket) down here. we're gonna make a movie! make that a thousand and two uses.

...coming soon to ppv in-demand!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 07, 2007 11:37 AM
This one's all yours Mason. You can borrow my sandblaster and some disinfectant as needed.

oG
mason
Posted: Sep 09, 2007 10:00 AM
I don't have anything to add to the discussion. Sprayfoam requires a highly skilled applicator who has the right equipment, knowledge and experience to perform the specific job correctly. I can't see a beginner doing a good job without an experienced applicator on the job site for the entire project.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.