Q&A Forums

Hardpiping Air Supply Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Jan 05, 2010 09:41 AM
Hardpiping Air Supply
We are looking to hardpipe our air supply with black malibu piping. I think there is a more efficient way to do it than we currently have, but would like a second opinion.

Currently the line goes straight from compressor to air dryer. From the dryer the line goes to our Glascraft H5. It goes thought the machine and comes out and goes to the drum pumps and our drum mixer.

All we run off the compressor is the proportioner, drum pumps and 1 mixer.

Here is what I am thinking:
-1" pipe from compressor to air dryer
-1" pipe from air dryer to machine with 3 branches before proportioner
-1/2" branch to feed mixer
-1/2" branch to feed drum pump A (with separate gauge and regulator)
-1/2" branck to feed drum pump B (with separate gauge and regulator)

I feel this would give a precise control over air going to pumps that we don't have now and eliminate unneccesary piping.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks
travis fails
Posted: Jan 05, 2010 06:52 PM
this is the way my rig is set up leaves the commpressor goes to a regulator set at 120 p.s.i.
then goes to air dryer then connects to hard pipe that runs on both sides of trailer then have tees for machine,air mixer, and drum pumps with regulators for each tee. I also have extra hookups for air tools or for blow gun to clean out trailer or parts or to air up a tire.
Raymond Brooks
Posted: Jan 05, 2010 09:49 PM
A couple of thoughts. 1) I agree with 1" from compressor to A5, through the dryer. 1/2" is fine for the drum pumps and the mixer. Running 2 pipes over to the resin side is unnecessary. Run one 1/2" feed and put a t at the end, then you can get some custom hoses made for the mixer/drum pump off that t. Most likely, the air dryer needs the air regulated down to 125psi. I would use one regulator off the compressor for the whole system. Drip legs at all the lowest points. Air gauges and regulators at the drum pumps is not needed. If you want to know if the drum pumps are doing what they should, then install fluid pressure gauges and thermometers in the material supply lines prior to going into the A5. You can fabricate a manifold for that rather easily. It will also tell you if your chemical is up to temp more accurately than an infrared. Just some thoughts...
Circle-D
Posted: Jan 05, 2010 09:54 PM
Why would you have seperate regulators for the drum pumps? Both pumps need to run at the same pressure to deliver equal amounts of chemical to the proportioner. Your spending twice as much for regulators and gauges as needed plus increasing your chance for error. If one regulator gets off kilter it may throw you off ratio. You'll probably spend hours cleaning guns, filters and whatnot before you'll notice the air pressure off to the pump. I'd put one regulator and gauge, then tee off to the 2 pumps.You asked for my thoughts.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.