Q&A Forums

NorthEast basement walls spray insulation type ? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jason Bogucki
Posted: Jan 07, 2010 03:36 PM
NorthEast basement walls spray insulation type ?
I want to get my basement in upstate NY (Albany) insulated with spray foam but have gotten a few different answers on what to use (Close vs. Open). I am straight on having the poured concrete walls covered with Closed-Cell foam at a thickness of 2 inches, my confusion is what should be done with the rim joist - Do it with Closed-Cell or have it done with Open-Cell?

I have heard keep it Closed-Cell at one inch, Closed Cell at 2-3 inches and then finally that the joist should be sprayed with Open-Cell out to the basement wall. What would be your opinion?

Thank you in advance.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Jan 07, 2010 03:59 PM
We personally service the area in question and would service you if you're looking for a good contractor.

As far as the open vs. closed goes, I would say use one or the other and don't try to blend them. If you're going with open below grade, then go with open above grade. If you decide to go closed below grade, then closed above grade, but don't mix them up.

The open cell is going to be less expensive for more if it's a dry basement. If not, you'll want to plan on closed cell from the bottom up and plan on more cost.

I've done a bunch of these and typically do what the customer wants. So, you decide what you want and give us a call if you'd like.
Jim
SPFer
Posted: Jan 08, 2010 05:56 AM
We always spray the basement walls with closed cell because of the moisture issue. I would recommend not switching lines just to spray the rim with open. Therefore, I would recommend closed cell on the whole shooting match.
Jason Bogucki
Posted: Jan 08, 2010 08:49 AM
Thanks for the responses, will go with the closed cell for the whole job.
mason
Posted: Jan 09, 2010 11:10 AM
I was not able to log on the last few days as you might have noticed. The hotel I was staying in had a virus on their main frame that prevented me accessing the internet. But I see that this issue was properly addressed.

Thanks for pitching in guys. I agree with the earlier comments. Building codes specifically allow the use of sprayfoam in sill plates up to a depth of 3.5 inches without an thermal or ignition barrier. Once you start with one foam or the other, it is better to stay with it for such a small area. And as pointed out, the closed cell foam is more resistant against water penetration (if that is an issue).

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.