Q&A Forums

Welding on barge filled with Urethane foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
John Zacher
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 02:13 PM
Welding on barge filled with Urethane foam
We have 2 barges that we had filled in 1980/1981 with urethane by Maxwell Marine. The urethane was 2 pound and met spec MIL P-21929B. The barges now sit low because they are holding some water (suggests to me that the foam has deteriorated). So maintenance now wants to weld on the bottom to fix leaks. My question is hazards involved - flammability and vapors/fumes. I have read some accounts of foam catching fire and burning fast - http://static.monolithic.com/foam/fire_hazard/index.html. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 10:37 PM
Good news is the foam is saturated, which will make welding on the bottom easier.

The bad thing is that I've seen, caused and put out plenty fires on commercial shrimp vessels that slag from welding caught on fire from as far as 10-15 feet away from the welding area.

If you have access to the area, be ready to douse the flames before they are more than a spark. Check access to get out quick and have your guys ready to assist in pulling out.

Smoke is unbearable and solid black once it goes up, so safety is of the utmost importance.

Your only other option is to remove the foam, complete your welding and then pour in new foam when finished.

Be careful!

Steve

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.