Q&A Forums

Using Spray Foam with Precast Concrete Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Douglas Anderson
Posted: May 19, 2006 03:08 PM
Using Spray Foam with Precast Concrete
My company manufactures and builds Precast/Prestressed concrete parking garages. Each Floor is made up of precast double tees supported by precast beams and columns. The double tees make the driving/parking deck. The tees are 12' wide with a 1/4" joint between. Typically, after the garage is erected the joints are filled with a backer rod and then caulked. Due to the wear and tear of traffic, cracks due develop at the joints. That is a problem for us at the roof level for it allows water to enter the cracks and leak to the floor below. Also, during the freeze thaw cycle it will make the cracks grow even larger. I was wondering if spray foam sprayed on the under side of the tees will eliminate the leaking to the floor below? If it is sprayed from below, as the water travels through the crack to the bonding surface will the foam hold up? Also, is the foam flexible enough to withstand the movement as vehicles roll over the joint? What is the average cost per square foot? I appreciate any feedback on whether spray foam would be a viable option for our problems. Thanks
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: May 19, 2006 08:56 PM
I don't think that foam would hold up to the stress that the joint is under. You might want to try a flexible membrane under the crack, then foam.

George

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.