Q&A Forums

Trimming Closed Cell Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 11:42 AM
Trimming Closed Cell
Hey all,

What do you guys use for trimming closed cell? We use the Foamzall for open, and are happy with it. But it does not cut it for closed. Am thinking of putting a long metal cutting blade on a sawzall. I looked at some of the old threads and heard of the Shav-er, but could not find it online.

Any input is appreciated.
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 08:46 PM
Bosch flush cut saw for closed or open. We try not to overfill so it is really just for the overspray on the studs/rafters and the occasional overfillage. Have been running the same 2 for 2 years now. Just blow the guts with compressed air every now and again. $100 each at HD!

Tim
Brennan Bowen
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 08:46 PM
We just had to trim some closed cell. We started out using the air saw but the foam just gets to hard. I have a grinder with a disc on it that we use to scuff racing tires. It is very course. We tried it on the foam and it worked great. Only down side is that the foam blows all over. I wore my tvek suit and kept my full face respirator on. Hope this helps.
Rob Granger
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 11:41 AM
We have been using the Fein Multimaster. It trims foam off studs very quickly and does a nice job between the studs when you have high spots here and there....

YES FOAM
SPFer
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 06:49 PM
Yes,

What blade do you use with the Fein Multimaster?
Posted: Nov 07, 2008 07:31 AM
just saw that bosch has a similar to the fein,,,a bit more affordable,,not sure how it works,,my fein's work fine...

planeing full cavities closed cell...
quickplane,,,10years and running,,you get what you pay for...

open cell...foamzall,,,the only way

'dude
David Thacker
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 10:56 AM
We carry the QuickpPlane. It is Extremely durable, and very effective at removing closed cell foam.
Dave
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 11:14 PM
We have a couple of the bosch saws in the rig, and I know several others do too. They work great, cost about $100 and if you get them from HD or Lowes, you can pretty much get buy without ever buying another. I haven't had the need to try anything else.

Tim
Tim Trott
Posted: Nov 15, 2008 05:27 PM
We have a QuickPlane and have a Bosch trimmer as well, but the best trimmer of all is the one where you convince your customer you can get as close to the stud edge as possible without getting proud of it. A good installer can do it, it takes a little longer to finesse it, but not as long as it takes to scrape it down.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 08:24 AM
Well maybe I was doing something wrong? I purposely overfilled the cavity, and hooked up the QP with the special blade, I don't know if it was me or what, but it took like 20-30 seconds to get maybe 12" shaved off. I don't have the patience for that, I felt as if a hand saw would have been quicker.
David Thacker
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 07:38 AM
Sorry to here you have had difficulties w/ the QuickPlane. Please feel free to give me a call.I would be interested to here more, since we distribute them.
We have had many great responses from users, however we have had to rebuild a few as well. If the one you are using is an older model, or has been subjected to a lack of oil or wet air, the motor could actually run considerably slower, making it seem almost worthless.

Dave.
616-813-7333 cell
David Thacker
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 07:38 AM
Sprayfoam Goddess.
Sorry to here you have had difficulties w/ the QuickPlane. Please feel free to give me a call.I would be interested to here more, since we distribute them.
We have had many great responses from users, however we have had to rebuild a few as well. If the one you are using is an older model, or has been subjected to a lack of oil or wet air, the motor could actually run considerably slower, making it seem almost worthless.

Dave.
616-813-7333 cell
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 09:20 PM
Hi Dave,

Mine was a trial. I am on vacation next week taking the kids to disneyland will try to call you though towards the end of the month.
David Thacker
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 06:43 AM
Cool.

Say "hi" to Goofy for me.
quentin
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 08:19 AM
Can I go too? :D
quentin
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 12:09 PM
First time I had to do more than scrape the studs of closed cell was this week and I found that the foamsaw by Lane worked great on it. Clean the studes with a scraper and if needed use a knife to do a quick cut to help it and then grab the saw and go for it.
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 12:18 AM
would be interesting to know what was up with the quickplane...not enough cfm would be my guess,,you aint gonna run this on a 5 hp comp,,and alot of 7.5's my not have umpf either..

oh,,and they really like dry air...
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jun 23, 2011 06:06 AM
Recalling this conversation ....it wasn't enough air, I was using a 5 HP and recently tried it with a 10 HP and it works great. We don't carry them, but I hook people up with Dave. I like to try everything so I have a personal opinion.
Amos Dirks
Posted: Jun 25, 2011 11:49 PM
Hi to you all. I would like to recommend the cure for all your trimming problems! Our C I Cutter has all the competition beat for the open cell and the closed cell. And it uses regular 120volt power so you never have to worry about enough CFM again! Check it out at schmidtanddirksdesigns.com and watch the U-tube videos. It cuts circles around the quickplane! :)
John Shockney
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 12:13 AM
And for $15 you can buy a wire wheel for a $100 grinder and it will clean the studs faster than anything that I have tried. And it will trim the excess foam too.

Airpro
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 08:57 PM
..looks like a nice trimmer,.
i can think of the positives and the negatives,,
lookin at it,,
but "runs circles",,,uh,,,when the one thats 12yrs old poops out(we have 2) i'll try one of yours(unless you'd like me to try it and give you an evaluation,,no prob,,serious),,,now thats runnin,,,and not circles,,thats marathons,,(your welcome dave),,,
,,,yours may have been designed to afford certain operating features that the qp dont,,,that is the beauty of being able to use the retrospectoscope,,,
thanx for developing another valuable tool for our industry,,keep the thought and develo0ment comeing,,
dude
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jul 07, 2011 08:26 PM
Well I got to try the CI Cutter too, some guys like them and they do a fine job on open cell, however, yes I have always got an opinion ....its heavy and I found that because of the weight guys lean into it and break the sprocket, and sometimes the foam clogs up in the motor. If the guy can handle the weight of it (28 lbs) I think, oil it and not lean into it, it could be a great accessory to your job, but some pink scuff jacket for your hose is pretty too...just sayin....techflex.com, they have purple too!
Jeremy Stomber
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 09:02 PM
shouldnt have to buy a trimmer for closed cell foam. just a paint scraper and a curry comb !
Amos Dirks
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 12:20 PM
Hello again, I need to set the record straight on a few things. The C I Cutter weighs in at 20 pounds for the 27.5 inch head and 18 pounds for the 20.5 incher. Also, the sprockets are getting damaged because users are not reading the instructions and keeping the chain tight. This allows the chain to jump the cogs in the sprocket and therefore eats it. We ran ours for a year with no sprocket damage and used it hard! You are right in the idea that people seem to think that because it cuts so fast they should really push on it. Actually it works the smoothest and fastest in the long run to let it feed itself up the wall and then pull it back down, cleaning the wall in one up and down pass. This trimmer is a completely new way to trim and you need to learn the correct way to use it to get the benefits it has to offer. :)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.