Q&A Forums

Primer for roofing application Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
erik williams
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 07:16 AM
Primer for roofing application
Hello,
When I started spraying about 3 years ago, I purchased lapolla Therm-o-prime primer. I was out of that one day about 1.5 years ago so I used a 50/50 mix of flat black acrylic and water. It has seems to work well so far... Is this considered an acceptable or unacceptable primer?
Thanks.
mason
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 08:31 AM
It is risky to modify your primer or coating. The physical properties will be affected and time will tell whether that affects the long term adhesion of the foam to the primer and subsequently the substrate.

Always get your supplier's recommendations before proceeding with a different technique, procedure or material.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 09:30 PM
Thin latex' tend to work well as primers. Plastic Coatings Corp used to make a black foam primer that was a thinned black acrylic latex. Worked very well.

Some of Futura's & Swifts old primers were over-engineered in my opinion.
mason
Posted: Nov 01, 2008 12:32 PM
Olger,

While "thinning" coatings to use as primer may work with some coatings, you lose any supplier product liability by doing it. In essence you are becoming your own coating manufacturer. So, if a problem develops (poor adhesion, blisters, coating falling apart), you would be responsible for the failure not the coating supplier.

I would strongly recommend against this practice. Primers don't cost that much compared to the potential liability of re-engineering the coating.
erik williams
Posted: Nov 02, 2008 08:27 PM
Thanks !!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 03, 2008 07:19 PM
Widdecombs did the thinning at the factory level, Mase.

Any inference that I recommended contractor thinning was unintentional. Best to buy it that way.

regards,
mason
Posted: Nov 05, 2008 08:18 AM
Thanks for the clarification Olger. Your posts typically are very informative and helpful. Keep it up.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.