Q&A Forums

Starting a foam buisness Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Nov 24, 2006 08:34 PM
Starting a foam buisness
This is my experiances with getting into the foam industry. I have been in the buisness for two years now and don't know if I should stick it out or walk away.

First of when you are figuring out a buisness plan figure on doubling your expenses. Beside the cost of the trailer you will need alot of plastic, paper, tape, ect. Then aside from spray rig you will need a full face sheild with fresh air supplied (about $300) and the fresh air fan system (???). Now the first year you can spend gobs of money in advertising and you will defentantly spend more time educating than working or you can just take it easy on the advertising and be broke. I tried to be in the middle and I was broke. Then you have to figure that the first year you will not be able to keep a helper on full time so plan on doing it all alone. Then you still have to meet deadlines so figure on working 20 hour days all alone. Next there is the learning curve so if you want to do a good job and give the customer what they are paying for figure using 25% more product, maybe more. I hope that you are the type of person that can get dirty, The first year you will forget to wear your gloves or have foam on the little areas that seem to peak out from under all that protective clothing. I am in my second year and still do it from time to time. We haven't even gotten to the good part. I sure hope that you are mechanically inclined. Foam equipment has numerous moving parts and many electrical systems. These can break down and malfunction. Another thing that can be a real aggrevation if you are in a cold climate is your foam falling off the ceiling or not keeping you barrells warm. Oh yes not to mention each barrell wieghs about 500 lbs. so handling them can be a real challenge and someone has to be around to take deliveries.

Many people tend to think that spraying foam is like painting. Well think about this when you paint the 1/32" difference from one side of the pattern to the next doesn't make much difference and then you also hold the gun realatively close to what you are spraying to ensure even coverage. Well now pretend you have to hold your gun 3 to 4 feet away and for every 1/32" difference in liquid thickness it will grow to be as much as 4 1/16" difference. Well there is so much more to tell but right now I do not have the time. I tell all of you this becuase I don't want you to go into this buisness thinking it is easy. For some of you it may very well be a lucrative buisness, and then for some of us it is hard to make that paycheck.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 25, 2006 09:11 PM
Amen. We got down to our last two cans of green beans that first winter after I started my own foam business. I always believed in the potential of it, and it paid off (finally). It ain't for the faint of heart, men.

olger
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 02:45 AM
It took us about 2 years of research before we wrote a check for a rig. The first year was market analysis, information collection, and competition shopping. We also worked with our local SBDC, Financial Advisor, Banker, and some Contractor friends. From this we still held out for another years for research, and local demographic studies.

With the information that we compiled from all of this it was time to focus on a Turn Key Rig (trailer – tow behind, no gooseneck or straight truck) We opted for the tow behind because if something were to happen to our truck, we could rent a replacement. Try to find a rental truck that is set up for a gooseneck. If your straight truck breaks down, you don’t get to your next job and end up looking like a fool. Followed up with no return business from that customer.

It is a hard business, and it isn’t for the weak at heart or those that shy from hard, sweaty, dirty work. You also need to be an excellent salesman/woman. Your sales pitch also needs to be top notch, with data to back up what you say. This is where a well designed brochure comes in handy.

We do not do quotes over the phone, we schedule an appointment with about 80% of the people who call looking for insulation. We also take a sample of our product to give to the customer for them to keep (2lb closed cell foam – left over’s from previous job sprayed) people love samples. Remember the times when door to door salesmen had the fully working miniatures to show their potential customers what they would be getting??? Believe it or not, Foam sales work the same way. When we hand them the sample – AFTER THE SALES PITCH AND EDUCATION LESSON ON WHY FOAM IS THE BEST OPTION potential customers become customers.

Another item that has worked for us, is this – We also take an old sample of foam that was sprayed into a thin cardboard box, approximately 3” thick and have them stand on it to see if their body weight will crush our 2lb closed cell foam. The box is dated 8.26.06 and is dirty. The dirt shows the potential customer that after being around the block, it still stands up to punishment.

We also have spent a lot of time on our web site. www.bayharborinsulation.com Almost everyone now a days has the internet in their homes, and do their research after normal business hours. Each person that comes to your web site is like a customer walking into your front door. First impressions are everything. When starting a business be sure to budget for a site and consult others Spray Foam Contractors on who did their site and ask some very key questions – Like - -
1. Is the site customized to my business?
2. Will it include a custom Logo for my business?
3. Do I get a discount on Hosting?
4. How many e-mail address does it come with?
5. How often can I update my site? (we update after every job)

I would be happy to extend my knowledge that I have gained in the Spray Foam World. Just click on the link to the left and give me a call.
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 11:59 AM
bendriftin,

Can I ask what part of the country you live in? I'm convinced that location is half the battle.

I'm in the automotive paint business and have been looking at foam for months. I'm not convinced yet that it would be a good move, simply because of my geographic location (North Carollina). I'm looking at it from an insulation business point of view. Roofing may be totally different.

I know it sucks when you're out there working so hard and not making any money. Is the reason you're not making enough money because of the lack of work? Or is there so much local competition that your prices are too low? Or are you just TIRED from doing everything yourself? At least with your two years experience you should be able to narrow down what's holding you back. If it's your area I say MOVE to where it's good. The Northeast looks like the happening place for foam insulation.

You need some help. I'm in my fourth year of being a one man show because the market I'm in is saturated. It's everything I can do to keep myself busy. I've tried to expand three times only to lose money everytime. But the guys in Florida and California haven't made a sales call in years and have ten times the business I do. Location, location, location.

Being tired AND broke is OUT! I think in your business you can hire help on a per job basis. Develop a network of good people who have flexible schedules and need good paying part-time work. Like fireman, realtors, etc.

If you determine that the problem is your market then you've got some serious decisions to make. If there are other successful people in your area though I'd step back and look carefully at what's the difference between your business and thiers. Your situation is exactly what I'm trying to avoid because I've been there and am still doing that.

Good Luck
Bill Bowen
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 04:34 PM
I am in the research stages right now and have alot of relitivly simple questions.
what is the best equipment for me? I would only be starting with my own insulation work, probably take some before and after pictures for future clients, web page etc.
I would think that talking to some of the small to medium size home builders in my area to see weather or not they would even consider using foam would be my market reseach. Then I would love to have the right answer to every question they would have.
My area also has this BPI (Building Performance Institute) Organization, what they due is certify you in a number of areas regarding home performance with mold inspection energy performance ect. Should i take the coarses & spend the time & money?
Can anyone reccomend a portable kit for small jobs like the handi foam or froth pak?
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 06:17 PM
I have been running a truck and trailer for a foam company for about 2 years now.The foam game is a tricky business we compete against 2 other foam companies in our area but we spray about 80% of the foam my boss is a great salesaman.As far as spraying I had 15 years mass production paint spraying experience before i tried to spray foam
and their is a big learning curve.The best way to find out if you have what it takes is to get with a crew that is already up and running and see if that is what you want to do.Here is my email if you would like to talk. elb@mtnhome.com
Bill Bowen
Posted: Nov 30, 2006 03:03 PM
I just wanted to again say thank you to all the guys who took the time to talk & answer my ?,s
You can bet i'll have more for you guys thanks again.
bill.
quentin
Posted: Nov 30, 2006 03:43 PM
The people here are GREAT and very helpful. I would also suggest getting with a contractor that is already doing it and see if they can use some free help to get an idea if the work is right for you. This is an emerging area of construction that will expand as we get more people learning about it and if someone does take you under that wing and you go for it, remember them! If you get up and running and have someone needing a job done but you can't make it due to deadlines or what ever, then suggest that person in return.

I've run my own business before but it was a whole different animal so I am doing all the research I can right now while looking at my abilities to do the job, the market in the area and much more. Some may be about to write a check for $30,000+ for a rig and it not kill them to have it sit but very few can.

Oh, and I am a computer tech by trade and was wondering if anyone would mind if I did up some brochures using pics from this site for potential customers to look through while I am researching the market? They are for architects and major construction companies who will know in advance it am in the research stages and are for them to gauge if they are interested in the products and service. I also have no problems creating them for others in a format you can print out easily.
Posted: Dec 02, 2006 05:52 PM
$30k seems pretty cheap compared to what I've been getting quoted. It seems more like $70k.
Dave Strnad
Posted: Dec 03, 2006 09:18 AM
It all depends on what you are getting or want. $30,000 will get you a nice rig in a 7x14 trailer with a long cord instead of a genset. Almost all residential homes will have power in the main by the time you spray. I just carry an asortment of breakers with me. If you are doing work in remote areas or commercial work you would want a genset. You could also rent a genset if you had to. If your just doing residential I don't see how the added cost for a genset is justified. It would be nice to have, but this is about making money not having all the bells and whistles.
Randall Langston
Posted: Oct 31, 2009 03:20 PM
I would like some of the brochures

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.