Q&A Forums

recoat hail damage Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 05:47 PM
recoat hail damage
We had a large hail storm come through and damage several of our foam roofs. The roofs were installed in the middle 90's and all were acrylic coating. Insurance is going to pay to recoat, what is the correct way? We were going to caulk damage and apply 1.5 gps base and 1.5gps top. But a large hail storm chaser is coming in and promoting touchup and new topcoat only.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 09:48 AM
Are the storm chasers offering a new warranty?

If the damage isn't to bad you could caulk repairs and apply 1.5 gal/sq of acrylic coating with ceramic granules to protect against future (moderate) hail damage. Many coating suppliers will allow you to re-new the warranty using this method.

Try using urethane coating next time. I've never had any hail damage where I've used urethane coatings. Acrylic w/granules works great too.
mason
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 08:12 AM
A few years ago I drafted a technical guideline for repairing SPF roofs after hail storms. The SPF took the draft, reviewed through their technical committee and published it as AY 139, Recommendations for SPray Polyurethane Foam Roof Systems from Damage by Hail and Wind Driven Debris. (down load at sprayfoam.org)

The key is to identify the extent of the damage. If it has a few hail dents and cracks of relatively small size, a recoat may do the trick, however if the damage is more extensive and/or larger it may require removal of the damaged foam and application of a sealant before a recoat. If the cracks in the coating and foam have sat for a long time, you may need to scarf the whole area and refoam.

The guideline describes the size and extent of damage for each scenario. (note, each roof requires its own evaluation so the guideline leaves some room for subjective evaluation.)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.