Q&A Forums

Soy and bio based foams Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 23, 2009 07:40 PM
Soy and bio based foams
Is there a difference between soy based closed cell foams and bio based closed cell foams?

Thanks
quentin
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 09:36 PM
Not really. There is an excellent article on this site you may want to read that would explain it better for you. I linked it on the left for you.
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 10:13 PM
Thanks Quintin, that helps me. I was advised not to use soy based foam on a metal building. After the fact, I learned that the the foam used on my building is a bio foam (sucrose. That term seems to cover a pretty wide spectrum. Ignorance can be scary.
mason
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 08:01 AM
Formulas of SPF vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The same holds true for bio based resin foams. Whenever you try a new brand start with a small order, ask the manufacturer what equipment settings you use for the foam, pressure heat,type of spraygun and mixing chamber or nozzle, What storage temperatures are required, how close is a warehouse or factory, does it require require agitation before or during application.

Try to contact their technical person for information rather than the sales person (unless the sales person is the technical person) and see how difficult it is to reach them. Find out where and what problems were encountered and how they corrected them. How long the foam has been on the market, have they changed the formula recently and why. Also ask what measures they require to replace foam if you have a problem, (recordkeeping, job information, etc)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.