Q&A Forums

Polyurethane Injection Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Brian Bothun
Posted: May 09, 2012 09:07 PM
Polyurethane Injection Foam
How many are using this successfully? Also what manufacturer Lapolla or Demilec? Theirs been a little talk about it on here but nothing to detailed.

Up here in frozen Minnesota this would open up a huge market for me.
mason
Posted: May 10, 2012 08:13 AM
Check out my article on injection foam in the latest online issue of Sprayfoam magazine.

Polyurethane injection foams have been around since the 70s but typically are used in OEM (manufacturing) more so than residential or commercial buildings. One reason is the cost, the other is the potential for high expansion causing a lot of pressure within the enclosed cavity. There are polyurethane foams specifically designed to minimize the pressure within the walls, but it still takes some experience to install it correctly. Some of the pitfalls include; how to mask off the assembly so that the liquid mixed material doesn't come out and spill out on the floor or all over the wall; making sure the foam covers all of the cracks and crevices within the wall

You also have a lot of competition from the other injection foams such as Tri-polymers and amino plast systems. They have the market cornered on the block fill market and are trying to expand aggressively into the residential market. (retrofit in old houses that have poor or no insulation in the wall cavities).

Talk to the technical reps of various manufacturers on what products and technical services they have in that market and know that it would be learning a new skill such as moving from insulation foam to roofing foam.
Lynn Mether
Posted: May 10, 2012 10:36 AM
I tried it once and was very disappointed with the quality of the foam. It reminded me of an off ratio mix of open and closed cell(big bubbles, crunchy, nasty stuff). Several calls to the rep and never did get it right. Maybe it was the brand, maybe not, I dont know. Still got half a set left going bad in the corner of the shop.

Ive heard horror stories of a big d demo in St Joseph, MO. They had to replace a bunch of drywall in a house and these were the guys who were supposed to know what they were doing.
Craig Gifford
Posted: May 10, 2012 12:25 PM
How does it compare to AirKrete...???
Does anyone have experience with airkrete...I have seen it done on an old colonial while I applied SPF to Attic & knweewall areas.

Anyone..the good the bad and the ugly on Airkrete ...let me know!
mark moyer
Posted: May 12, 2012 06:19 AM
air entrained cement...wonderful...
and they sell performance value,,not real rvalue
what we're told we cant...(thank you spfa for another turn your back on what we really need,,)
if you look at the real cost for real rvalue
closed cell foam is more affordable, more effective, more accomodating to design poofoo's...just a better value...
but it is solid as,,cement...
Doug Commette
Posted: May 12, 2012 08:51 AM
NEW Spray Foam Magazine Issue focuses on injection foams. Covers PU, phenolic, aircrete, concrete lifting and more...

Click link at left
Craig Gifford
Posted: May 14, 2012 12:49 PM
Foamdude...I realize foam is the bang for your buck....but as an injection there is much mre risk to cracking walls than Airkrete,,,looking at all options since I get quite a few calls on injection.
Airkrete is used for fire walls & sound proofing as well, but nothing beats spray foam for air sealing & creatig a thermal barrier.
Then there's the knob & tube issue in older homes as well....regardless Airkrete is much better then fiberglass...just loking for someone who installs it of knows of someone so I can get their opinion.
Mark Mouton
Posted: Jun 02, 2012 07:29 PM
CFI injection foam is a good way to go on existing walls. It's not as good a quality of foam as sprayfoam, but it works.(Better STC than cellulose)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.