Q&A Forums

Open Cell Heats? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Craig Maturi
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 07:16 AM
Open Cell Heats?
what has been everyone spraying your open cell at for temps in A,B, hose?
Michael Flander
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 09:06 AM
Many things, including ambient temp, humidity, length of hose, substrate type, substrate temp, formulation of material, etc. can affect what the ideal temp and pressure will be for a specific material on any given day. Personal preference also plays a role(Heat can drastically change your pattern).

Start with your material manufacturers recommended temps, and fine tune from there. Generally speaking, Open cell foam will spray in the 120-130 degree(f) range.

The only time you would want to have different A and B temperatures would be if your A and B materials are different viscosities. You would increase the temp of the higher viscosity material, and lower the temp of the lower viscosity material. This will help to maintain even pressures from a to b. If you spread your a/b temps, the general rule of thumb is to keep your hose somewhere in the middle. For example, if you have your A @ 120, and B @ 130, a good starting point for your hose would be 125.

My 2 cents,
Mike Flander
Craig Maturi
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 05:52 PM
hello mike, what is the minimum you heat your barrels up to pre-spray temps?
Posted: Sep 07, 2007 07:11 AM
sprayed a set of OC overhead yesterday
batch blended 03-07..
ambient at about 80 degrees or there abouts
we opened with the heaters at 125 A,,125 B,,and 120 Hose,,,after about 2 hours of spraying we notice some slight reversion and lowered to 120 across the board.
sprayed well,,,little drip..nice foam...

(if you are unhappy with the consistency of your open cell foams,,,spin it longer and maybe get some larger bladed stirrers,,,we have 3 blade assemblys on our shaft with each having 5 blades...the lower opening to 8" when spinning the mid to 6" and the top to 4"..the top is just above the mid point of the drum...
we like to shake it up...since we have changed to this more aggressive blade configuration we have noticed a marked increase in the quality of our OC's..nice lofty pillowy foam...no hint of grainyness or friability..this is true over 3 different manufacturers OC foams)
Mike Stephenson
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 08:15 PM
foamdude,
Where did you get your stirrers? I need one. We have been spraying without one and I think it would help our yeild. My guys were spraying OC with the heaters at 100, I told them it was not hot enough and they said the foam was shrinking and pulling away from the studs at 120. I'm thinking that stirring might help.
Thanks
Huey Reed
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 10:54 PM
Try non-agitated 1/2 lb. open-cell, several on market, sprays beautiful.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 30, 2007 08:55 PM
Graco Twistork. Works well.
Michael Flander
Posted: Oct 01, 2007 02:46 PM
Foam-Pro: I would say you want to try to keep your barrels @ no less then 55-60 degrees. The cooler the material, the thicker it gets, the harder your pumps have to work, the more problems you have, etc..... The closer to 70 degrees you can get, the better.

Twistork P/N is 224854, I have them in stock. It could be yours by tomorrow :).

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.