Q&A Forums

dollars and sense Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
philip mullins
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 04:13 PM
dollars and sense
ok,
40 percent of the energy used in this country is consumed by residential homes. +/- 40 percent of that is wasted do to air leekage. right?

so im wondering, what is the dollar amount of energy wasted each year due to homes not having spf? how much energy (%) could this nation save each year if all the homes had foam?
mason
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 04:42 PM
Troutkiller,

DOE says 10% to 40% is lost due to air infiltration. The average number is probably around 20%. But even those numbers are huge. I estimate that I save 20% on my energy use since installing sprayfoam to my attic and basement. (walls are still fiberglass, but it's a townhome and and interior unit.)
philip mullins
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 04:54 PM
good idea to settle on 20 percent bud. but, im still wondering.
where can i find the info i need to tally this up? how many homes in america? how many of them already have spf? and how many estimated dollars are spent by this nation on energy every year?
then, as a bonus, i can figure up how much the peeps that are using spf are already saving this country, on average.
i would like to halfass a study of the industrial side off this too. but thats another day.
mason
Posted: Sep 06, 2007 08:49 PM
Troutkiller,

It takes a little bit of research to get a qualified answer and that's the kind of work my consulting business deals with. But without letting too much out of the bag, try these sources of information; National Association of Home Builders, Oakridge National Labs Building Envelope Department, EPA and others for data that you can convert into your estimate.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.