Q&A Forums

mixed up iso and resin pumps Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
jeff henderson
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 06:07 PM
mixed up iso and resin pumps
Let's say, just hypothetically mind you, that a person was to accidentally switch their drum pumps (iso into resin, and vice versa).

Any advice on what to do next? I stopped spraying as my gun had plugged up - then fixed a never ending series of unrelated problems, just to finally get back to spraying, only to have the A side plug up again...got frustrated, wnet and stared at my barrells for a little while and then realized what I had done.

Any advice?
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 08:03 PM
Take the equipment to a rep. Bare Min new hoses and supply lines maybe a new primary heater maybe more. all i know is that the longer you wait the worse it will be. I heard somebody aid that they did this and it cost them about 10,000 dollars to fix. Where are you located.
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 02:29 PM
The drum pumps can be saved the lines are probably junk. I doubt the material made it to the proportioner. The problems you were having with the gun were due to not getting material supplied to the proportioner by the drum pumps. I have seen this done to one of our pumps and the pump can be saved. Where are you located?
We could service your equipment and get it working again.

Steve Shaw
F-Tservice.com
Linerman
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 07:37 PM
sounds like somebody had a loooong day. you're gonna have to completely strip your feed pumps down and soak in cleaning solution preferably dynasolve cu-6 or if you want just cough up 3k for new ones. I would let soak for a day then be very thorough when cleaning. you may even have to change all the seals, feed line definitely and I would see if you have any crossed over material inside the inlet fittings at the displacement pumps, if so you're gonna have to tear all that down and see how far it went.

best lessons learned are the hard ones.
Jim Coler
Posted: Jul 21, 2008 11:49 PM
Got Foam? - You're not alone! I know of two other installers who have had one of their guys change out drums and do the same thing. One of them never admitted it and kept getting plugging issues until he tore the whole system down and cleaned it all out. The other installer's guy admitted what he had done and was bale to minimize the impact, but it did make it al the way to the first section of hose. A lot of it depends on the tip you were using and the volume of the proportioner pump you're using. The smaller the volume with larger tip, the further up stream it gets.

Not a good day - hope they get better!
jeff henderson
Posted: Jul 22, 2008 12:42 PM
Well....

Thanks for all the responses folks, even if they are just as depressing as I feared they would be!

Of course it happened when I was 12 hours away from home on a 'family-favour' job...drove home last night so will get to work on cleaning things up today.

And to answer the earlier question, I am based in Flin Fln, Manitoba - about 750 km northeast of Winnipeg. Sort of in the middle of nowhere.
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 12:09 AM
Hey Got foam,
I had a really sharp fella swap my "A" and "B", lucky for me it didn't make it to the proportioner. Unluckily for me, I waited three months to fix it and well now I need to get a pal of mine to cook the whole damn thing and rebuild it.
I'm glad you brought this thread up, because my supplier told me that my drum pump was shot and now I can go ask to have it back as they were using it to show people what not to do! lmao!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.