Q&A Forums

inventions I want Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
angus mcdougald
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 07:02 PM
inventions I want
I want to invent a mold for sloped roofs to spray into where the finished foam looks like shingles or slate....

I want a hand gun that I can fill with like a half gallon each side and touch up or spray mudsills

I want someone to sell a wall system to spray into so there is zero waste....

I want a foam that will kill bugs when they eat it

I want a foam that is safer for the applicator....

Anybody out there inventing things for this industry? Seems like for all the money the material costs, somebody should be using 21 century tech
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 11:04 PM
I spray walls with no waste all day...

Your gun without a hose idea leads me to believe that you haven't figured out how to work efficiently with a hose or you make a lot of mistakes that require touching up... How would this gun work in a new home with no power, how would it heat up and pressurize the chemical, how would the valving rod actuate?

Foam is safe for applicators who use the right equipment do you think there are fire fighters who wish they could go into a burning building without their gear on?

Make a mold for your roofing texture idea and get some slow rising foam, maybe you can make poly urethane furniture and trim pieces for stucco to go over...?

What bugs eat foam? Birds?
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 07:56 AM
...i want miss march for my clean up crew,,,
thanx georgous....
Doug Commette
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 08:49 AM
brightalt:
Best forum post I saw all year. Wish there wasn't any negativity on here along with it, as I would love to hear about other desired inventions, futuristic, dreams for the biz and all. But even an adverse answer has some good in it.

I led the development of the GX-8 low out spray gun when at Gusmer, because people like you kept telling us they needed to spray small parts without most of the material ending up on the floor and wall.

Your same gun idea led to many very small machines being developed to do just that - patch and touch up work. Still a machine, but way smaller with material on board. It is possible that what you request will be available in the next evolution could be...

You should have heard all the folks that told Dudley Primeaux back in the 80's that Polyurea was an automotive molding materials and it could never be sprayed!! They sure ate those words.

Imagine the guy that thought of generating power from the sun, what a lunatic huh?

BTW - Safer foam for the applicator. Sure you can wear all the resp equipment and be ok (so they tell me) - but safer foam for the applicator, means safer foam for the surrounding trades people and for the end users (who are rarely) in the PPE. Think what good that would have for everyone...

At any rate thanks for the post!! It sure opened up my mind a bit and caused me to re-think many ways we do stuff now, or use the equipment we do now differently and better. Sure would like to hear more wishes.

And for the dude, maybe miss march wont be on your clean-up crew, but perhaps she come and make a visit someday...

stay positive folks
steven argus
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 09:28 AM
I want a cloning machine. I would clone at least 5 of myself. I would have the best spray foam crew out there and also the best looking crew! LOL!!

How about a button on my keyboard that could shock dl123 every time he posts somthing negative!
angus mcdougald
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 03:50 PM
Ok well d321, i bet you know and spray better then I do, but I bet I am way better and more informed then u when u were my age. Plus my company brightalt.com own also does geothermal, solar, trains people to be bpi, solar thermal, resnet/hers, develops college courses, fed wap jobs multifamily audits(and training) and on and on so na nana poopoo.....

I have workers that aren't great.... I can't always be there. That's life if you
know any. Out of work qualified people in central jerz let me know......
Any way, back to the gun.... I think you could plug it in, and it could be heated and pressured out.... why you need 1200 psi if you aren't pumping 300 ft?

As far as the roof mold, I would spray it in like 3-5. Interlocking system from bottom to top then spray on epoxy to simulate traditional roofing... (I think a wall system would work too)

As far as bugs, termites chew the stuff....
then can live comfortably insulated hidden from all
Put some boric acid up in the mix...
Ivan Pauliuchenka
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 05:25 PM
Guiness - with on cloning machine - had a thought about it few times... GOOD ONE!!! LOL!!!

DL123
- I thought I am bad... but DL123, you do know how to be a real ******. You are terrible lately. I mean you just a angry little man or what? Is any post of yours going to have some mercy for newbies. We don`t owe you money or somthing... to talk like that. Come on. Is this the only place you like that or this the way of living? I am with you on some things - (like common sense and stuff ) but... Cant see the edge???? Read your reply after you post one.

YOU GOT NO SENSE OF HUMOR I GUESS...

4:20 am/pm
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 06:12 PM
i want an open cell "froth pak" kit,,,
perty pleez
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 08:19 PM
I want a small indicator light to come on at the gun when the gauges are off more than 300 psi. I want all of the idiots bidding at .70 a board foot to realize that they are losing money. I want walmart to crawl back up the pink panther's a*! and go back to selling fiberglass as that is about the extent of their support. I want to be able to zap someone over the phone when I am helping them troubleshoot their equipment and they are lying to me and telling me things that are not possible.

George Spanos

Dude, if Miss March winds up on your cleanup crew, won't you need an additional cleanup crew?
SPFer
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 08:31 PM
While we're throwing it out there, I would like a hose reel that works with foam hoses.

I'm starting to like DL123. A little bit of douche never killed anyone.
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 09:14 PM
I'm confused as to how 1200 psi has anything to do with a small hand held rig...?

What do you expect to squirt foam instead of spraying it?

I'm sure someone clever could rig up a reel for your hose, the only problem would be the room it would take up.

I've never really needed someone to tell me when my pressures are off, I hardly ever get iso grit clogging up my screens since we replaced a very old hose. Switching from the D-gun, to the Fusion helped out here a lot too. I haven't had any foam off-ratio since the switch.
angus mcdougald
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 09:44 PM
I have an e10 but its a pain in the arse....
How hard could a hand held refillable be....seems like two modified paint sprayers could be modified almost

anybody ever try to refill a frothpak with non froth?
I am going to try that when I get back from costa rica

Is there anything chemically different between froth and non froth aside from propellant? If so what?,

What is the lowest pressure you can spray acceptable foam through a rig?

So years ago I worked marketing for mountain dew...
We had a backpack soda machine complete with soda gun.that's what I envision....three tanks a b nitrogen....some kind of heat and a 3 ft hose

As far as the reel, they need somekind of swiveling union right? Is that possible with 2 hoses?
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 10:53 PM
Definitely possible, just expensive.
Posted: Mar 31, 2011 07:40 AM
dll..why a squirt pak???
like a fart fan that 0d'd,,,thats been capped with oc foam,,,
then they can remove the bun,,replace the fan and squirt the stuff to repair the bun,,,
no need to run over there with the rig thats probably somewhere else makein $$,,,

if there was a suitable product...

and me,,,i like ya,,but i liked troutman as well,,,you bring good schtuff to the table,,,
moderately abrasive in your presentation,,but this aint romper room..

hey goddess,,,didnt jerry have some big azzed hose reels for spf hose way back somewhere...??
or were those coating hose reels???
those reels took up as much room as 2 drums as i remember,,,but the hose rack does already dont it??
quentin
Posted: Apr 01, 2011 02:41 AM
Hose issue is fairly easy if you have ever seen how fire hoses are put on. We don't roll them over but toss them so it is more of a figure 8 over the hose rack. Now a POWERED reel can actually be done if someone cares to build it. A big motor to roll it, a hook where you hook the center of the distance on it and then it rolls would be the simplest solution to that. No rolling high pressure connectors either to leak.

For a portable kit, I would love something like a refillable froth pack. You just have a small rolling setup that uses a small portable air tank to do the little touchups! I hate it when we have to drag the rig out to repair idiots that tear things up after us. Hell, you can ue the exaust from the trucks to heat it first even. Shouldn't be too hard for a good engineer type to do.

Mean while I have a few things I am working on in other areas of foam. Once I get the bugs out of the prototypes they will be offered to you all. I just want to get it working right before I let anyone else have them!
John Shockney
Posted: Apr 01, 2011 12:50 PM
A spray foam plainer that doesn’t cost $1200+
Airpro
Posted: Apr 01, 2011 06:50 PM
I would like to see foam that I can spray in 15 mph winds that goes straight where I want it to go without having to use that damn tent.

While they are at it, for good measure, I would like the foam not to be able to stick to winshields and Mercedes Bends that attorneys own.

DL, you are a trip! Let me know when you are in Bayou Country, I will buy you a cold one.
steven argus
Posted: Apr 01, 2011 09:41 PM
A foam planner that is half the weight and half the price. Money back guantee would be nice to.
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 10:47 AM
...radiant floor heat in my next job trailer...
(workin on it)
steven argus
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 10:19 PM
fd, great minds think alike. We're plannin floor heat as well.
Yvan Richard
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 01:41 PM
Hey, guy that is a great idea. Have you decided how you are going about it. Would you use the stuff that is used to heat tiles in a home and wire it to your panel and then sandwich it between to two sheets of plywood?

If you don't mind let me know what you have come up with so far.
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 06:23 PM
You'd want something more conductive than plywood if you used electric wire heat...

I was thinking along the lines of a self leveling epoxy capable of standing up the heat and then a sheet of steel over that.

You need to protect the wire from damage obviously.
Tyler Boehs
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 08:03 PM
I too have been thinking about the floor heat deal (tired of winter in Nebraska, we just had 8 inches of snow on 4/14/11) i like the wire idea but it needs to be covered with something lightweight our trailer weighs enough already! like the ideas.
John Shockney
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 12:08 AM
The only problem is the electric cable or mats made for tile floors are only for floor warming and do not produce enough heat to be a primary heating system. The only way to get enough heat from a radiant floor system is to use a hydronic (hot water) heating system.

Airpro HVAC and Spray Foam
steven argus
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 08:35 AM
We're playing around with electric snow melt systems. Wood sleepers on the floor and sheets of 1/4" aluminum over them. We plan on installing a temp sensor in the floor so the floor would be a constant 80 degrees. Maybe split it up into two zones. One side for A and one side for B. The whole floor will be aluminum so the barrels should slide easily over them. Our rig is all ready insulated better than a comercial walk in freezer, esspecially the floor.

In the winter, our floor is the coldest part of our rig. We tip up the barrels. Even if we can maintain 65 degrees on the floor, it would be a benifit to us. It gets pretty tight in the rig with 8 barrels tipped up.
quentin
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 11:05 AM
Maybe if you use a diesel genset you can pipe the coolant to a manifold where some is split off to heat the floors and the rest to the normal radiator. It would also save on needing to increase the load on your generator to poer a heater or wires and a diesel would do plenty of good to heat things up.
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 11:51 AM
Airpro, that sounds like a myth to me...

It all depends on how closely the wire is spaced as it loops back and forth.

You could heat a trailer with it just fine, it just might not be cost effective to heat a 3000 square foot home with wire alone...

[quote]Modern underfloor heating systems use either electrical resistance elements ("electric systems") or fluid flowing in pipes ("hydronic systems”) to heat the floor. Either type can be installed as the primary, whole-building heating system or as localized floor heating for thermal comfort. Electrical resistance can only be used for heating so when space cooling is also required, hydronic systems are used. Other applications for which either electric or hydronic systems are suited include snow/ice melting for walks, driveways and landing pads, turf conditioning of football and soccer fields and frost prevention in freezers and skating rinks.[/quote]
John Shockney
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 03:31 PM
Sorry I forgot to say “MOST” electric floor systems only provide floor warming and are not used as a primary heat source.

You would have to calculate the resistance of the wire and use ohms law to calculate the amps at the voltage that you are using then use Watts’s law to figure the heat output in watts and from that you can figure if it will provide enough heat for your trailer. But to know how much heat that would be needed you would have to do the manual J calculations and add the heat needed to raise the product from the storage temp to your operating temp divided by the time you can allow for the trailer to heat up.

You also need to have enough surface area to put out enough heat, so you may not have exposed floor to heat the rig you could add baseboard electric heaters.

Personally I would do what Quentin said and go with a hot water system and use the waste heat that your gen dumps to the outside air, this would reduce the load and fuel use of your gen set.

Airpro
steven argus
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 06:16 PM
How would you control the floor temp? Taco valves and pumps? Do you pipe it right in with the coolant or use a plate heat exchanger? Sounds interesting. Complicated for my pea brain, but interesting.
JohnPeters
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 03:23 PM
We installed electric radiant heat in our last trailer. If you guys have any questions about it feel free to give me a call. 401-383-1589. Ask for John.
John Shockney
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 05:56 PM
Guiness

They use this type of heat in high end Motorhomes like Bluebird and Perovost buses.

You can just T into the cooling system for your gen just like the heater in your car. Though you will need a circulator pump and a thermostatically controlled mixing valve for radiant floor heat because you don’t want to run 180 deg water under the floor. You may need to put in a larger overflow tank on the gen because of the larger amount of coolant in the system. But all the parts to set this up would cost less than $500.

If you need more help send me an email and I can send you some of the plumbing diagrams that I have for radiant systems.

airpro@gotsky.com
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 07:48 PM
dude - Yes - there were some big honkin hose reels, but they caused hose damage and one caught fire. Graco makes some hose reels too within the finishing group, but most of the coating hoses 4000 psi+ are too stiff and don't work well - they now (smartly) put a rack on the sprayer - the 3300 psi ones aren't too bad.
Brian Currie
Posted: Apr 21, 2011 09:54 AM
I want a little handheld electric or air spinning stud scraper that you can just run up and down stud face and remove overspray.Would one of you invent that for me?
John Shockney
Posted: Apr 21, 2011 10:58 AM
Have you tried a cup wire brush on a 4inch grinder motor?

Airpro
Posted: Apr 22, 2011 06:02 AM
ap,,yep,,,brushes luv the dust,,,
Brian Currie
Posted: Apr 22, 2011 06:57 AM
That makes a big staticy (not sure if that's a word)mess!
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 23, 2011 07:33 PM
I only have that problem if we're trying to put 3.5" of foam into a 2x4 wall, and then I have my helper tape the studs...

I know it sounds like a lot, but I find the cleanup follows me quicker and when I'm done spraying, we're just about ready to leave site.
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 04:40 AM
lets see tape at $xxx per roll
$$xxx per hour to install (sprayer sleepin in rig while prep man tapes house)
$$xxx per hour to remove
$$xxx per hour to bag

screw it,,,hand em a 2" scraper and a curry comb
and have em clean the studs after the sprayer leaves the room,,,,
remember,,we dont get much foam on the studs with cc,,and yes even 3" in 2x4,,lol
quentin
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 07:41 AM
curriejr, get a 7-in-1 tool like the Rockwell or the Fein. We decided to give that a try and they work great. To keep dust out you can just use dryer sheets taped over the openings, used ones work better than new on that also. I pulled that old trick from my IT work and keeping dust out of computers and etc out in the field in the Marines. Works great and you just toss them if they get too dirty. Also a LOT stronger than something like tissues you can use on a computer with less obstruction of the air flow.

As for the floor heater, buterfly valves is what I would use but then again I can be pretty redneck in doing things at times. Heck, you could even add in an old heater from a junk car with the blower setup and use it for forced air heating on really bad days and to heat things up faster. May not look great but who cares? At worst a cliet may look at it while you are spraying and ask but the few who have looked at mine thought the redneck items I have rigged up to solve issues the crappy builders of the rig didn't think out right were pretty impressed. People love someone that thinks and innovates to solve problems and seem to trust you more to get things done and done right if they see you can think around problems in your rig I guess.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.