Q&A Forums

How Do I Know if the Installer Did a Good Job? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Wacker
Posted: Sep 17, 2009 11:59 AM
How Do I Know if the Installer Did a Good Job?
I live in SW Florida and created a problem when I replaced my tile roof with a shingle roof. I subsequently discovered that tile makes an excellent radiant barrier and now my AC system cannot adequately cool the house on hot sunny days. My research has led me to conclude that spray foaming the underside of the roof with 5" open cell foam is the best and most cost effective solution to the problem. My attic has reasonable access but it is somewhat irregular in places so it won’t be an easy job to get into all of the corners and build the requisite knee walls. This brings me to my questions?

How will I be able to determine if the installer did a good job? Should some type of pressure test be performed on the attic before or after foam is installed? If so, do installers normally perform this test?

Another somewhat unrelated question is whether there is any danger in accessing the attic after it has been sealed? I plan to do some wiring work in the attic and was wondering if I should be concerned about air quality in a sealed attic?

Thanks for any feedback or insight that you can provide.
mason
Posted: Sep 18, 2009 07:55 AM
ONe of the best ways to ensure a quality application is to do your homework before the contract is signed. Call the applicator's supplier and get their opinion. It should be an enthusiastic yes. Get references (at least 10) and call each one. Ask how neat the job was, did they show up on time, were there problems and if so how did they address them, did the application perform as advertised, would they recommend the company and the product?

ASk to see some of their work either in progress or just after installation to get an idea of what to expect. Compare it to the printed advertising.

After the work is installed;

Someone should inspect the job who knows what to look for. The foam should have a minimum depth within 1/2 of the specified depth, have uniform cell structure, good adhesion, (small samples can be taken and filled in with sealant foam) and no cracks, gaps, voids or delamination.

A blower door test would help show the relative air sealing qualities of the foam (Do one before and after the application). Iand/or an infra-red scan of the insulated areas to determine if there are any voids, gaps or delaminations. (of course these tests would cost and may not be practical, unless your applicator has an infra-red camera or a blower door apparatus)

But they may have performed blower door tests in houses similar to yours. Ask for this type of data.

There is enough natural air infiltration from the interior of the house to allow air circulation in the attic so the sealed attic should not be a problem with indoor air quality.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.