Q&A Forums

Home Theater...Sound deadening Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Chad Gritzmaker
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 07:57 PM
Home Theater...Sound deadening
I have a customer interested in spraying the ceiling of a basement "home theater" to reduce sound transmission to the upstairs. What thickness would be recommended, with cost in mind. He will be installing a drop ceiling in the room that is approx. 11'x22'

Thanks
Chad
mason
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 07:55 AM
Either low density or medium density SPF would effectively stop air transmitted sound from the room to the other room, however, low density SPF would be a better sound absorbing material. I would think 4-6 inches of low density would be sufficient. Or spray 1 inch of medium density SPF to provide the air seal and fill the rest of the cavity with fiberglass or cellulose.
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 09:48 PM
i prefer the open cells for sound deadening,,that and/with/or a well installed batt...
be careful with sound deadening work,,,be sure the expectations of the customer and the performance you promise are close to being on the same page...
spray foam or other materials will not "drown out" the sound of a 500Watt home theater system with a decent subwoofer...it will help some but it wont remove it completely...i fill the cavity with as much foam as the customers budget will allow,...i have applied 10" in the subfloor and you can still "feel the beat"...
remember,,,much of "media" sound is highly vibrational and non-directional,,,and hard to isolate unless addressed at the design level...
also,,remember,,a dropped accoustical tile cieling is not a 15 minute thermal barrier..
i hope this helps....
mason
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 12:56 PM
Foamdude,

Good info, thanks for the first hand experience
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 26, 2007 07:53 PM
Good info `dude

An effective alternative is 9" Ultratouch in that ceiling space, covered by a layer of Econo Barrier under the drywall.

olger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.