Q&A Forums

Fresh Air Question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 08:02 PM
Fresh Air Question
I need to get a new fresh air system. We have been using the "squirrel traps" and they are unsatisfactory. Am looking into either the Allegro Wall Mount system in the truck with hoses or the 3M PAPR system. Prefer the PAPR for the lack of hose, but not sure about cost. How often do you have to change the filters on the PAPR and does it work?

Thanks.
Brennan Bowen
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 07:22 AM
I was/ am interested in the 3M PAPR system also. Couple of concerns I have are 1. You cant use a cool tube to cool the incoming air, if your in an attic in the summer the incoming air would be pretty warm. 2. When having to crawl in tight spaces its kinda bulky. I did look at one, they are nice, I just dont know. I think we are going to a truck mounted system. I have a Bullard free air pump and dont like it.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 11:13 AM
If you are getting the Allegro system, make sure you have enough CFM to support whichever your using masks (4-6 each) or hoods (10-12 each). If you add a vortex cooler, or are thinking of it later, add another 5 cfm to each hood - can't use on masks. You can do a wallmount, which means you must run air grade breathing hose from the truck/trailer to your hood/mask. If you get a carry unit, you can run regular red air hose from the truck to the panel, and only need 50-100' breathing hose to your hood/mask.

I checked into the PAPR, and decided they were too much money to carry for resale. The cartridges are expensive and need replaced often. Its been a while since I investigated costs on this, so please verify.

If you want more information on Allegro, please call Robin at 253.583.9696, she will help you.
Linerman
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 06:51 PM
I think it was foamdude that said use some copper tubing with your air supply thats dunked in a cooler with ice to cool the air...this was quite awhile back.
SPFer
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 11:13 AM
I ended up ordering the Air Systems Portable Breathing Air Compressor and the Cool-Box for it. I just didn't trust the PAPR to filter the air sufficiently, and the cost. I also wasn't too fond of the idea of the crew having to deal with 2 more long air hoses from the Allegro system mounted in the truck. I realize we are going to have to lug this cooler to the site, but like the cold air concept.

Will keep you posted on how it works out.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 08:47 PM
Been using the 3m air hood for years.. L-501 7 GVP 441. Change the filter every month at least..
Michael Flander
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 03:17 PM
Robin,

Allegro has also recently released a hot/cold tube for use with the sealed masks...
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 07:39 PM
Hey Olger,

So how do you keep the overspray off the back of your neck with that helmet setup?

I assume you use the GVP blower assembly?

Thanks, Tim
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 04:43 PM
Mike - have you sold any yet, got any response, I am worried about it fogging up and what? a hot tube for the face, I am confused as to the purpose.
Michael Flander
Posted: Oct 24, 2008 03:31 PM
You would understand if you lived in MN through a winter :).

As with all hot/cold tubes, it only changes + or - 10 degrees or so from ambient. Just enough to take the edge off. It would fog up no more than it normally wood from your breathe on a cold day.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 09:41 AM
I looked further into the PAPR system. It seems as if you would have to treat these as you would with a regular respirator with cartridges. According to the OSHA regulations in 1910.134 - you would have to provide fit tests and have a decontamination/cleaning protocol in place.
Geoff Turnquist
Posted: Jan 31, 2010 10:55 AM
Does anyone know if the PAPR units have been NIOSH approved for MDI?? I have been getting the run-around from NIOSH,OHS and North Products, who manufactures my unit...Who uses these and would you recommend them? I have been using one for a year now and the convenience cant be beat! Thx-Geoff
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Feb 02, 2010 08:48 AM
Sorry I don't think so - Mike did you guys check into these?
clint moore
Posted: Feb 02, 2010 05:03 PM
Hey Rob when are you coming back?
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Feb 03, 2010 03:33 PM
Coming back...to my right mind? Never! Email me...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.