Q&A Forums

Should I ?.... Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jordan Polasek
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 09:00 PM
Should I ?....
Hi, I thinking of getting into the business, but I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help with. The first is I believe I have found a great deal..the problem is I'm not sure on the price of parts to repair what is there, the rig I'm looking at is a 22'tandem gooseneck trailer(looks like a converted cattle trailer), it has a gas 4 cylinder generator, a 16 horse kohler powered compressor, I believe the propertioner is a Gusmer H-2000 (not 100% sure),300FT of heated hose, and a whole bunch of other equipment. The guns are there but are covered in foam. The rig is being sold as is for $4000 bucks. I figure if I can get it going for another few grand I've got a pretty good deal??
I understand knowledge is the key to any business and plan on attending a course this fall on application and trouble shooting before I start the business up and running....right now I'm quite green but the price seems to good to pass.
ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT.
Thanks.
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 09:33 PM
There is a reason it is only $4K... Gas powered stuff I consider a liability.
Linerman
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 07:05 PM
For starters you said you believe it's a Gusmer, not tryin to say their junk but if you ever needed to get replacement parts your gonna have a very hard time finding any. You really aren't gonna know how well maintained the equipment has been, do you know if even works? Did the unit get flushed? What condition are the displacement pumps? Hoses? What guns are they? I'm guessing they would need to be rebuilt. You get into it, it may need more than what meets the eye. So it's kinda risky.

Honestly if your serious I would start new, that way you'll know your rig insid and out, not to mention usually the only people that buy those proportioners buy them for parts.
Eric Smith
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 12:54 AM
You consider the gas compressor a liability?
SPFer
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 05:24 AM
I spent alot more than $4,000 on my rig, and I wish I had spent more. Nothing but troubles with the gas generator and compressor. Remember, these things are running non-stop for 8-10 hours a day, sometimes 6 days a week. You need to buy top notch equipment. Gas equipment in the trailer runs hot and loud, and is a liability because of the combustibles in a contained space.

The next rig I will have a diesel generator and electric screw compressor.

Do NOT get into this business cheap.
Dan Beecher
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 09:55 AM
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. H-2000 is not made anymore and not making parts. How long since material ran through hoses. 50' of hose is $1200. Gas generator and air comp would not trust.To get into the business right don't skimp. Been doing this for 15 years and you will learn that fast. Tell him you'll give him $400 bucks for it then you might have a deal. Are you going to do residential, commercial, roofing? To do all three you need a good dependable unit. I spend $50 thousand to put new trucks and equipment together for my business. You buy this stuff you're gonna regret it. Thats my 2 cents.
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 06:41 PM
blackhatch,

yes I consider gas powered equipment a liability. For starters the obvious is that gas is explosive and not a good fuel to have to deal with in an enclosed trailer. The fumes/exhaust can be fatal. Gas equipment just does not have the service life that a diesel powered engine does. A diesel generator is an investment, a gas one is an expense in my opinion. A lot of starter rigs come with this stuff for a reason, it is cheap. Sure it works, but it would be unlikely that 5 years and 10,000 hours later it is still running.

Tim
Michael Fusco
Posted: Nov 30, 2008 01:50 PM
My advice would be to keep your money and run away from this deal.

An H-2000 is a very old machine....very hard to find parts for. The machine probably dates the other equipment on board, so unless the trailer is worth what you're paying....there is no deal here.

Without exception, everytime I have been involved with someone buying used equipment...it has cost far miore than that person budgeted tpo get the equipment up and running....WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

So unless you are getting used equipment from a dealer who is willing to give a written warranty....run, don't walk away.
Robert Carnazzo
Posted: Dec 07, 2008 09:34 PM
I recently purchased a 20 ft trailer rig and wished I had gone smaller or a with a box truck. I live near Boston and find it difficult to get everywhere.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.