Q&A Forums

F-250? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Trey Gibson
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 08:28 AM
F-250?
We are about to get a 32' gooseneck trailer, we planned on pulling it with an F-250 but a gentleman I know said that might not be enough. It is a Diesel 4x4 with a trailer brake set up. What do you all think?
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 09:21 AM
As far as power is concerned the diesel engines today have more power than the semi's 30 years ago. The only thing to worry about is weight. Hook it up and if the leaf springs bend backwords by a new pickup, if not go to town.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 01:11 PM
When we were shopping for a truck, we considered the weight alot, not as much as towing but also stopping and what amount is in front of you if you were to hit something. We ended up with a Dodge 3500 dually extendend cab 4x4. The reasone we selected this was for many reasons.
1. Larger truck - more likely to survive in a crash.
2. Extended cab - get extra workers/family to fit inside.
3. Dually - ability to pull/haul more weight
4. 4x4 - added bonus in the winter when job sites are nothing but mud.
5. Winch - this hasn't been purchased yet, but soon will be and when we purchase one, it will be the largest one available on the market. To call a tow truck will run a few hundred bucks just for one tug so the winch will pay for it's self.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 03:48 PM
i run an f250 with the v10 extended cab 4x4...
28' gooseneck...
plenty of power,,,and up until now the fuel was less than diesel..i service the tranny every 30K miles(fluid and filter)...
i added 2 additional leaves on the rear to keep it from squating under load...rides like a lumber wagon with out the trailer on it...
an f350, 3500 with a dually would really be the bomb...but i just couldnt afford it at the time i set up the equip,,,so for now this works good...
next will be a dually,,but also considering a "small" day cab type semi truck.....hammer on!!!

with any automatic,,,consider this,,,when backing up into a site,,,use 4 wheel low,,,you see you run down the road at road speeds and everything gets hot,,,then you try to back about 14000 lbs of weight into dirt, rock, mud, snow, ice or a combination of the above...and man the rear seals just go ka-poofy from the high rpms, and more important the high pressures you are subjecting the tranny to...advice from a tranny shop freind of mine,,,of which i subscribe to his advice...
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 08:19 AM
We have used both f-250 and dodge 2500 with diesels. Recently added a dodge 3500 dually. The dually is a huge improvement towing. We do not use gooseneck trailers (but I wish I had). The next truck will be another 1 ton dually, but until then then ford is getting an additional spring installed in the rear. The dodge 2500 doesn't squat nearly as bad.
The advice about backing up in low range is right on, just remember to tell the guys not to do it if there is any pavement/concrete.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 08:29 PM
Whats another 2cents we have 2002 F-350 dually diesel 4x4 4.10 rears.its as my guys say (TITS).
Any way F-250 should be fine. As in anything maintence is key.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 02:55 AM
SprayFoam1 -

What size trailer are you pulling with the Dually? Also, what is your average MPG?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 06:28 PM
Got two F-350's. They work very well.

250 should be ok with a gooseneck depending on the weight. if the tongue weight is greater than 1800, consider a 350.

gcw
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 09:12 PM
It seems like most guys are pulling trailers instead of using a box truck. Any specific reasons, I am debating which way to go. My trailer is just to small I need to either upgrade to a larger trailer or get a box truck. Seems like there are advantages and disadvantages to each, but did notice most guys go with the trailer. Any Thoughts
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 02:07 AM
When we started we thought about many different aspects, and we couldn’t make a decision. So - we made a list of both the positives and negatives for the company start up. What we came up with was… pull a trailer. It was more economical to start the company that way.

Turn Key Rig +’s – New trailer, new equipment, full warranty on everything, graphics package, WOW factor, and included extras. Can be towed with a good used truck (a dually would be the best option), if someone ran a red light and smashed the truck we could rent a replacement to tow the trailer. Cost

Turn Key Rig –‘s – Backing up, tow cost for truck & trailer when stuck in mud, additional DOT inspection, truck maintenance and now trailer maintenance…..if some one ran a red light and smashed the trailer…SOL…must have insurance coverage for lost job’s

Turn Key Truck +’s – All in one unit, lift gate option, drives like a U-Haul, if new full warranty on truck

Turn Key Truck –‘s – Cost. If some one ran a red light and smashed the truck…SOL…must have insurance coverage for lost job’s….style of trucks available, state registration cost.

So for us, the truck & trailer was the best option to go with at company start up.

Another factor for both options is that we live in a Snow Belt. 4x4 dually with a very large winch, you pretty much go where ever you want to. The winch will pay for itself every time you run into MUD. Mud was cool when I was 6, now it sucks.

OHYEA another thought - - buy a pressure washer!!! Quickest way either side of the Mississippi to get rid of the MUD.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 07:07 PM
Dave S
We like the trailer as opposed to the truck for two main reasons.
1 much easier to go for lunch drop trailer and go.
2 Large project drop trailer go home.
We used box trucks for 25yrs.Before switching to trailers and 5 yrs later we still cant undersatand why it took 25 yrs to switch.
Another nice feature is when using a pick up the DOT doesnt bother you they loved us in our GMC 6000's.
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 07:27 PM
I guess that's what I needed to here. I was kinda leaning toward the trailer just because I can either buy a new trailer or a used cube van. I would like to start out new, I 'm tired of fixin stuff. The bad part is that I'm going to have to upgrade my truck, poor little half ton just wont cut it. lol.
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 01:49 AM
I started out with a trailer and it is very handy, my 2 cents, this is what I would start out with. I am currently looking at getting into a box truck though. They are easier to back up and get around a job site with plus I am looking at expanding my territory and including a build in sleeper compartment. Of course I have always loved trucks. Big trucks.
David Kailey
Posted: Aug 01, 2006 10:10 AM
I have a F350 crewcab love it my last one had 425k. they have lot of power. I got a Edge program 5 stage w/attitude monitor, 4 inch exhaust and a magnumforce air in take. cost about 1,700 but i get 3-5 mpg better mileage.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.