Q&A Forums

Frustration Sets IN! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 05:56 PM
Frustration Sets IN!
OK I know that we have discussed some of this before and there are probally no concrete answers but I would like some opinions. Do you have to use air exchangers if using SPF? If you ask the plan review inspector he says yes, but can't show you where in the code it says so and thinks that it would be ok to use gable vents if SPF was applied to the roof deck, might as well not insulate if thats the case! I want to do things correct as to avoid future problems such as the homeowner calling up because he cant get final untill he installs a $2000-$3000 air exchanger and wants you to pay for it. I suppose the thing to do is tell the homeowner they may need to spend an additional $2000-$3000 for an air exchanger that you believe is unnecessary, but need to have just to pass code. I don't think a person would get many jobs that way or by including it in the bid? It seems the standard practice is just not to say anything even the inspector kept saying we don't inspect insulation and as far as r value we take the builders word as to what is there. I feel that i shouldn't have to ask the builder to lie on a signed document and that 4" of closed cell in the attic is far superior to an R 38 of cellulose or fiberglass which is my areas minimum. Anyway I have a lot more to say but will break it up into several posts. Thanks
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 09:14 PM
Ok after much research I understand the need for mechanical ventilation also have found that lower cost units are availible $500-$600 bucks installed. Appearntly the HVAC guy I work for likes to rape people I found the same unit that he charges an additional $3500 to install for $400 retail. That is probally why I have never installed one in the 5 years that I have worked for him. I still believe that they are not very efficent because if you do the math the warmest that it can warm the incoming air is 1/2 the difference so if it is 60 inside and zero outside the incoming air is only 30 and needs to be heated and that is if it was 100% effiecent and they are not. regardless $500 is no big deal but $5000 is .

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.