Q&A Forums

White flakes in my Screens Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Nick Schmidt
Posted: Dec 07, 2011 01:20 PM
White flakes in my Screens
We have been in the spray foam business for 4 years now and about 1 year ago we started to get what looked like white paint chips in our resin side screens. We took our pump out at to our amazement the whole pump was coated with this white film which was then breaking apart and clogging our screens. We changed the hose from the pump to the proportioner and that seemed to help a bit but now the white flakes are back.
Has anyone had this happen to them before and know how to solve this?
mason
Posted: Dec 07, 2011 01:28 PM
I have seen this before. It may be a reaction by using different types of foam, for example 0.5 lb foam and 2 lb foam or by running the temperatures a little too hot.

First, Take down your transfer pumps and clean them out real good.

Then try flushing the lines (and the proportioner)(ask your supplier for their recommendations on what type to use), followed with a plasticizer such as DOP or TCP. Leave the DOP in the lines for a few days and then follow it with fresh material. Run a few gallons through the equipment and hoses. The problem should clear up.

In rare cases the foam itself may have some contamination from the factory. Check with your supplier and ask them to check out the lot numbers.
Nick Schmidt
Posted: Dec 07, 2011 01:45 PM
Thanks I will give this a shot!!

Nick
Ivan Pauliuchenka
Posted: Dec 08, 2011 07:41 AM
I seen that before... some b side drums have problems with paint inside the drums. Most likely a heater cause some paint to peal and your mixer does the rest. happened to me few times with `biobased` drums... they admitted that was the problem with paint in new drums they had.

5cents
Ivan Pauliuchenka
Posted: Dec 08, 2011 07:49 AM
Change your supplier

GEORGE SPANOS/ spray foam distributors of north east would never had something like that...

S.F.D.O.N.E

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.