Q&A Forums

what machine to buy Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Joseph Bufalino
Posted: Aug 27, 2006 08:05 PM
what machine to buy
Getting into the spray foam in the near future and have some questions about best equipment

We are going to build our own rig

16foot trailer

this is the only piece i know for sure

what machine and guns will we need and what product

The budget is 30k no more

we need a generator and compressor

what brands and sizes does everyone use

i am deathly afraid of power so going off the box is not an option

will the E-20 by Graco work for us

thanks alot
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 08:58 AM
We have just received our new rig. 18' trailer, E-20, fusion gun, etc. When doing my research i have found that many compressor company's will not honor their warranty if the unit is connected to a generator. If you have something go wrong with the unit, they will be able to tell exactly what happened so their is no foolin the compressor tech's. The E-20 works great for our application - (residential construction and light commercial/industrial)

Connecting to the box is very simple and once you do it a couple of times, your fear will disappear. This also eliminates the chance for dirty power from entering your $30-50,000 rig and put you out of business.

Stay away from Gas Powered equipment, all the fumes create a dangerous work environment. 4th of July is cool, but only once a year if you know what i mean.
Joseph Bufalino
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 03:22 PM
impressive rig and nice work

were about 6 months away from purchasing equipment

how much for that rig and how close to $2.00 a square foot can you get
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 03:50 PM
the rig was about 47K. It came with everything you will need to properly spray foam, from the E-20 down to a set of screwdrivers. The rig is also has a AC/Heat unit installed to help maintain proper temp's.

$2.00 a square foot will give the customer about 3" of closed cell 2lb foam
Joseph Bufalino
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 06:49 PM
what product do you suggest

how much does it cost

ac and heat in trailer

is it a must

who trained you and do you need another guy with you to spray

later
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 11:03 PM
I just had a very deep discussion with an old line foamer who has never used a genset and has put together many, many rigs. He always works off of the customer's power. I sat and watched a guy connecting to a pole. Actually, I've watched two veteran foamers do it and you can see their entire body tighten up and their faces turn white.

I had several reasons for going self contained. I can show up anywhere, anytime and start spraying. If my genset is so dangerous that it tears up my equip, my insurance will take care of that. Now, if I try to plug into a box and screw up, my family really suffers and insurance can't replace that. If my employee screws up connecting a to a box, same thing but add on to the fact that my insurance carrier is going to ask me why my employee is connecting to a box when he nor I have a license to do that and we aren't covered for working on electric.

Foamdude makes a great statement with his "How close to the edge of that cliff do you want to work" comments. If I'm connecting to shore power with unqualified/uninsured help, I'm right on the edge. If you want to consider hooking up to dirty power working close to the edge, I can see that. But at least when you are operating safely and within the boundries of what you are covered to do, you are at least working at cliffs edge with the proper fall protection and can always recover.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.