Q&A Forums

Walk in coolers Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jun 17, 2007 10:21 PM
Walk in coolers
Does anybody have any experince building walk in coolers? I have been asked several times but never got very far, but now a family member is interested so I figured it would be good practice. I have the following qustions but any comments would be helpful.

1) Are there any standards that need to be followed, something was said about NSF?

2) Does anyone know of suppliers for doors, freezer units, etc.

3)Is it even cost comparable to build a unit vs, buying one of the panelized units?
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jun 18, 2007 10:49 AM
We have sprayed some coolers in the past. It is cheaper to build your own compaired to the panel units. You need at least 4" of 2lb CC for the insulation. The doors you can get from a cooler supplier, or ask around to some of the bars/taverns in your area if they know of a place to get used equipment.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 18, 2007 01:38 PM
install a good vapor-barrier on the warm side. 4" is about right.
Posted: Jun 20, 2007 06:34 PM
we applied for a subzero freezer...
14,500 sq ft slab on grade...
the design specs called for r25
we applied 4" cc foam....
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 06:35 AM
Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards 4" all around. I am still wondering about the requirements. I read somewhere that all componets must have a NSF rating. I have found doors, refridgeration units, etc. However I am still wondering about the interior of the cooler. Is there an approved coating, or paneling that has to cover it?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.