Q&A Forums

Tube Steel 6"x6" How to insulate Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ryan Slagel
Posted: May 22, 2012 12:31 PM
Tube Steel 6"x6" How to insulate
Hey guys looking for some insite on what is going to be the best way to insulate these 6"x6" steel tubes. My thought is to use 1/2# and drill x amount of holes but the job is calling for CC any ideas would be great. Maybe a pour system?
mason
Posted: May 22, 2012 02:21 PM
Definitely use a pour foam. Ask you foam supplier for their recommendation after providing them with the dimensions.

I have poured a lot of pre-fabricated pipes, and a few sail boat masts. Your tubes will be similar. Have the tubes at an angle and pour right down into them. Gravity takes care of the rest so long as you have the right reaction time. Pour foams can come in cream times of 20 seconds to a minute or longer with rise times from 1 minute to over 6 minutes. What ever it takes to get the foam to settle down to the bottom, rise all the way to the top without causing a foam geyser.

Remember you don't want to pour foam on rising foam, so the cream time needs to be long enough to get enough foam in the tube to reach to the top before it begins its rise.
Ryan Slagel
Posted: May 23, 2012 01:19 AM
Mason thanks for the info. My supplier doesnt carry pour foam normally so it sounds like I probably will not get a great deal. Can you recommend a brand or supplier I am located in idaho.
mason
Posted: May 23, 2012 11:19 AM
I would check with the local taxidermist and see where he buys his foam. The larger chemical companies would carry pour foam as well. BASF, Bayer, Dow, etc. But, you might have to go to different departments to find out where. At BASF talk to Jim Andersen at Bayer, talk to Joe Stockdale.
Ryan Slagel
Posted: May 23, 2012 09:00 PM
Alright thanks again
mark moyer
Posted: May 25, 2012 08:24 AM
we have done a few with open cell foam (yeppers closed cell would be the best,,but life is full of compromise,,insultion is what they want,,,and they want it cheap,,,so,,)
"poured" thru 1" holes at about 3' or so up the column,,,let the rise tell ya if you need to drill more or less,,,we turned the temps down to our "lower acceptable processing parameter" and gave her a shot down the hole,,you get your "trigger timeing" down after a time or two..
now we had it "shoot" out a hole about 30' across the room and if the winders wasnt covered (new construction) it could have been a real cluster duck,,,
we have had good results with the froth pak systems here as well,,,with them being "pre expanded" it is much more controllable if you can deliver it..
good luck
John Shockney
Posted: May 27, 2012 07:19 AM
Jameson Company in Niles, MI stocks and repackages pour foam for the taxidermy industry and other applications. I think Joe said that he had up to 10# foam available and will sell it in one to 55 gallon containers, so if you don’t need a full drum you could buy it in a smaller container. I’m sure it is cheaper by the full set but I wouldn’t want to it setting around for a year or two.

I buy most of my foam and supplies from Joe and he will treat you right.

Airpro

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.