Q&A Forums

trailer question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
philip mullins
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 08:11 PM
trailer question
putting together a new rig and i would like to here you guys opinion about my trailer. my question is do you guys think it is worth the extra expense for an all aluminum lightwieght trailer? i have not had the need to pull further than 40-50 miles yet. and usualy only go 10-15 max. for a job.
since i often find myself doing more than just spray foam for my clients. and sometimes more than 1 house at a time in a nieghborhood, i am buying a 36 footer gooseneck with tripple 5k axles. so i will have room for saws, buckets of paint,etc...plus, i can put both units in one rig if i travel for a large job. i am looking at 8-12 g's for a steel trailer, or 15-20 for an aluminum one.
i know this is mostly a matter of opinion but, i would realy like to here you guys opinions here. if left to my own devices i will go broke buying way more than i need and then need a bigger truck,lol. after looking at a SWEET featherlite, its hard to say no. tx
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 08:51 PM
I wouldn't bother with the extra expense of aluminum. I have a 35' gooseneck with dual 8K axles. The only benefit I see to aluminum is the rust and corrosion prevention. If you are getting a trailer that large the you have the truck to pull steel or aluminum it doesn't matter. I would upgrade equipment before I upgrade the trailer.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Raymond Brooks
Posted: Jul 17, 2007 03:21 PM
In the trailer business they say that steel bends, aluminum breaks.
Posted: Aug 02, 2007 01:42 PM
No point in buying something fancy if your just goin to work it. Go steel. I would spend my money on HD axels and trailer brakes and maybe even some air bags for the rear of the truck if needed.
philip mullins
Posted: Aug 02, 2007 03:39 PM
tx guys. some good points made. i was thinking of aluminum cause they wiegh bout half as much as a steel trailer. maybe it would be easier on my truck and fuel bill. or maybe i could squeze a few more sets in thier if need be.
fyi, i found a good deal on a used steel one and went with it. now i got a lil' $ left over that my wife dont know about!lol
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 09:57 AM
How is the trailer assembly going tk? Got any build pics you are willing to share? And I assume since you had some extra $$$ you have a brand new truck pulling the trailer right?!!?!

Mike
philip mullins
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 08:02 AM
oh, its just sitting in the back taking up space. but, i would be glad to post some pics of the 16' residential rig i am building. i just dont know how to post pics here. havent seen any here so i just assumed that this forum didnt support pics.and yes, a new truck was the plan. but, since my slumlord refuses to fix anything around here (ac been busted since june 4) we have moved up the construction date on our home from early spring to right now. so there is no extra money. and my fantasy bad assed rig will just have to wait. and so will the onyx black duramax with tan leather interior. when i actualy sign one of these contracts i will build the rig. and when i get the check i will buy the truck. not saying i dont trust these big construction co. that have told me i got the job when it is ready...well, actualy, thats exactly what i'm saying.

...i did put new electronics on the wellcraft to help me find the fishes! dont tell my wife,lol.
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 12:07 PM
LOL! No money for anything but boat is well equipped, I love it! We definately are alike in the priorities department!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.