Q&A Forums

recommendations for a remodel Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
victor farr
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 10:14 PM
recommendations for a remodel
ok, Holmes on Homes has got me hooked on foam. so, im doing alot of remodeling in my house, one room at a time. Id like some recommendations from guys with experience to make the best choices possible. first, some basics:

1. i live in cleveland ohio. 95 deg summers, 3 ft of snow in the winter, and plenty of rain in between
2. the house is a slab ranch with a good sized attic that currantly has blown-in fiberglass that is badly compacted.
3. the roof is 2 years old and was done VERY well.

ok so, lets begin in the attic:

1. remove the fiberglass? are there companies that do that?
2. seal the space of coarse, but open or closed cell in the attic? foam weight?

room by room i will be removing the drywall from the outside walls and replacing windows/doors and foaming those cavities. i work next door to FOMO in Ohio, so is there any thing wrong with their large consumer packed closed cell for doing outside walls?

thanks for any help in advance!
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 02:13 PM
We are located in Erie PA, and can help you with your questions. Please give a call.
David Stanislawski
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 07:24 PM
Call BHI. Tim did my attic and rim joist and did a nice job. You will pay more per board foot with the DIY kits versus having a contractor do the job.
I didn't forget about the pictures Tim; I'll get them to you soon.
I'm enjoying the foam in my attic and rim joist.
Tim, that area I cut out on the roof to access that small part of my daughters room has really paid off. What a difference in temps versus the past.
I hope your enjoyed the brand of foam we used as much as I am. Thanks again.
victor farr
Posted: Jul 14, 2007 10:52 PM
ill make that call monday!

would you make the trip down? im like and hour and a half from the peach st exit.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jul 16, 2007 10:30 AM
Yes, we can make the trip.
Posted: Jul 17, 2007 07:01 AM
re: froth packs for wall apps...
they are swelling foams at best...they do not expand into even the most minute cracks and penetrations to envoke an air seal...(as neither do a bibbs glass or a wet cell dense pack system)
they are similar to installing board stock in the stud cavity...which i would suggest you do with a tube of caulk as this will give you additional r value up front in the wall which is what the froth pack systems amount to...
they typically cost more than a proffessionally applied,,FAR SUPERIOR,,closed cell foam system

(i have seen this system in my area,,seems the filterglass people now tell folks,,yep we got foam....and apply this inferior system,,,it looks like crap...turns off anyone who sees it to a foam system,,seems to be off ratio at regular intervals...)

call bhi,,,it will be worth the additional $$
a professional applied product.

remove the attic glass first...
look at filter glass installer to vac out or rake and bag and shop vac and wear a mask...
enjoy

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.