Q&A Forums

Technical Data on Spray Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
swfoam
Posted: Nov 10, 2011 10:24 PM
Technical Data on Spray Foam
Mason,

I am wondering if you know where I can find the specific heat of spray foam materials. I was able to find what the "general" specific heat of the ISO side. But I can't find any info on open cell or closed cell foams specific heat. I know it will vary from brand to brand. But in general they should be pretty close to the same if they are the same time of foam (open or closed).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
mason
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 06:23 AM
The technical data sheet of the foam will have operating temperature and pressure ranges for that specific foam. It will vary from day to day due to climatic differences, substrate temperature, equipment and so on. The manufacturer's technical representative (sometimes it is the sales person, but most often it is not) can assist you with your particular situation. It would be a mistake to assume the same operating temperatures and pressures for each generic type of foam.

For example, I have seen different 2 lb foam sprayed anywhere from 110 degrees to 150 degrees under the same climatic and substrate conditions.
swfoam
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 07:43 AM
My apologies Mason, I should have been more clear in my question. When I say specific heat, I am not referring to what the material needs to be heated up to in order to spray good foam. I mean the "specific heat" of each component (A & B) side. Specific heat is the measurement of energy that is required to raise the temperature of the material 1 degree Celsius. I have not been very successful in finding out this measurement. Any ideas?

Thanks
John Shockney
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 10:19 AM
Nightraid,

When I first saw your post I knew what you were asking but like Mason I thought that you were asking for something else and were using the wrong term.

It’s good to hear someone else using physics.

I could not find the specific heat for either iso or resin but I would guess it to be so close to 1 that it would make very little difference in any calculations.

What are you trying to figure? That requires that much accuracy in your calculations.

Airpro
swfoam
Posted: Nov 11, 2011 09:17 PM
airpro,

I am trying to size a heat exchanger and need specific heat of the material to size it correctly.

I have found that the specific heat of polymeric MDI is around 0.45 BTU/lb °F ±.05.

I have not found any information on the B-side at all though. I figure it is closer to the specific heat of water for open cell. But closed cell I doubt is the same or even close to the same as water.
mason
Posted: Nov 14, 2011 01:33 PM
Having been in charge of Gusmer's Technical Department for a few years in the 90s I can tell you that the equipment manufacturers size their heaters specifically to work with the majority of the sprayfoam suppliers systems. The b sides tend to have greater viscosity than the A side and require a little more heat than the A side. I wouldn't worry about getting the specific heat of the B side. The viscosity of the material at different temperatures is more important data.

I wonder why you would not just contact the equipment manufacturer's technical department for the right heaters. Are you trying to make your own hybrid equipment?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.