Q&A Forums

steel tank Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Harry S
Posted: Nov 23, 2010 12:00 PM
steel tank
I have a steel company that wants me to spray a steel tank they use to store additive for their diesel trucks. Only thing is they want it sprayed on the "inside". Supposedly this additive is 80% water but I'm telling them spraying on the inside isn't possible but to coat the outside. Anyone out there ever run into this & ifso how can I convince this company. They seem pretty adamant on spraying the inside because somebody(else) in the sprayfoam business told them to. Tank is 8x8x20
quentin
Posted: Nov 23, 2010 07:43 PM
Ok, grandpa was a diesel engineer at Cummins so from that end and as a diesel nut, it better not be 80% water! You do not want water in diesel fuel! If it is then there are some interesting chemicals in there to allow it to blend with the diesel fuel and with all those you can NOT be sure it will not have an adverse effect on the foam. Just remind them that processed waste water may only be 20% human waste and 80% pure water but would they trust it to drink?

Unless there has been testing from an independent source on all the additives in that mix and that they never change any of them, you can not know it will not have an adverse reaction somehow and then cause all the fuel to gum up. Ask them if they want to take that chance and if they don't mind all their trucks being down for new fuel systems and engines if that happens or if they prefer to do things the safer and better way? It will also help in that the metal will be protected from outside elements the that would cause corrosion allowing the tank to last longer as well as the metal in it adding to the mass effect providing a more stable temperature for the additive.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.