Q&A Forums

Spray Foam Storage Containers Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
John Branch
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 12:09 PM
Spray Foam Storage Containers
I am trying to find suppliers of foam storage containers to mount in our trailers as opposed to pumping from drums. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, John Branch
mason
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 02:29 PM
There are a couple of ways to go. Some suppliers sell foam in 2000 lb totes that can be discarded when they are empty. You need a forklift to get them in and out the trailer or truck.

The other way is storage tanks. You need a type that can be slightly pressurized and will keep water vapor out, so that the foam doesn't get moisture contaminated. Check with some of the foam equipment distributors. They may have some contacts to provide on tanks.
quentin
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 09:32 AM
Diimon had a bulk tank system but found several problems with it so have stopped using them until they can work out the issues. You may want to stick to totes until a company has a proven system out that won't have problems and cause you to have to replace them. The chemicals we use are very reactive and can build up on the containers over time as well as a good way to monitor the levels in them seems to be the issue from the discussions I have had with them so I would be worried about that.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 09:29 PM
I had heard at one time, that if you have more than 100 gallons of iso in one container in a rig that you have to have hazmat placards. Not sure if it is true or not as we don't deal in bulk containers. Mason?

George
Daniel X
Posted: Feb 22, 2011 11:28 PM
What exactly would be the point?

You want to transfer iso from a drum to a tote... why?
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 06:23 AM
you could talk to a good welding shop,,
ask about a "gas tank" type of assembly...
design its size yourself to fit your applicaton,,
obviously they would baffle the tank,,,
i would envision,,long and low,,maybe doubleing as a bench top,,,with a tube riser for the xfer pump,,and knock out/plugs for cleanout/draining..

i know a few roofers who use this assembly,,but ya know they arent changing out fluids regularly,,now the iso she just sits there but the resin,,we are swappin back and forth sometimes daily on the same job,,,so,,

i use drums,,,xfering from the rear drums to the from feed drums while we are spraying via a stick pump,,a 3/4hose and a couple of pipe fittings(camlock actually,,tweekerhillbilly,,lol gawd i luved that term john!!!),,,
nothing special,,just hillbilly simple,,
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Feb 23, 2011 08:33 PM
Quentin,
What were the problems that Diimon had with the tanks they were using? Can you explain?

I've been using tanks for about 2 years now and just used a stainless steel tank which can hold up to 2-3 sets in both the A & B side tanks. I do this to be able to keep spraying dya after day and don't need to change out the pump when I run empty. I've never had any issues with build up or anything else in the tank and have filters on the lines before the reactor so it catches anything in the filters. I've very happy with the system.
jim
quentin
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 07:03 PM
It has been a bit since I talked to them but it was something with the sensors for the levels of materials as the main issue if I remember right.
NEFoamer94
Posted: Mar 17, 2011 11:34 PM
We're slapping together a new rig and were thinking about having a valve system with our pumps so we can switch over without having to have a guy pull off the trigger for an extended period of time. We have 3 sets of drum pumps so we figured we would put them to use if possible. Anybody have that kind of set up? Would appreciate any ideas.
Posted: Mar 18, 2011 05:07 AM
3/4" shut off valve on the supply hose should do it,,,k.i.s.s.
we pump from our "back drums" to our "feed" drum while spraying,,sprayer dont get off the trigger at all...
we pump via 3/4 hose into the 3/4 bung,,venting the feed drum by raising the xfer pump a little and blocking it up in the bung adapter to vent...
pump the cc resins real slow so as not to froth,,we start pumpin over when the drum is 1/2 empty,,the iso we hammmer over,,it dont care how fast you dump it...
again,,watch how fast you dump the resin,,hot resin likes to froth and it can shoot up at ya like a 7up bottle explodin if you aint careful..lol...
xfer hose=3/4 400 psi goodyear hose with fittings
black pipe fittings for 3/4 bungs to fit hose
(we use cam lock couplers on our hose $ fittings,,male/iso,,female/resin,, we fight the iso gumbies on with regularity and use copious (thats "alot" for those of you from rio linda)amounts of grease on the fittings,,yep hydraulic threaded couplers would be equally less hassle..
(we also have a couple of 25' sections of hose fitted up for long distance xfers,,for the large slab on grade jobs where we shoot 7 sets in the day,,we back the supply truck next to the spray rig,,and xfer from the supply truck to the spray rig via the long hose assembly.,1 man in both the truck and spray rig,,,while the slab gets laid,,,
ah laid,,,and speakin of laid,,,
where are those calandars???

the walls of the rig
are cold and bare
no view of sand
anywhere
i miss the trees
i need the sand
to keep my gun mojo
from goin bad

burma shave

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.