Q&A Forums

splatter foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
paul rogers
Posted: Mar 16, 2013 06:49 PM
splatter foam
20/35 pro. 250' of 1/2" Gusmer hose. Bayer CCX or CCXP. At 128 degrees, with clean filters, 2 new IPM 232 pumps, I get fire hose pattern. crank up the heat to 140 and its splatter foam. (Better than a fire hose, but not the correct pattern that I am used to. Swapped out mixing chambers of Fusion CS. Same problem. My hoses feel good and warm. Temp sensor in Iso is 4 months old and appears to be working fine. I am thinking the resin side is not heating up. Mechanically inclined, but not not real good at electric testing. 20/35 Pro is 8 years and is a absolutely a great machine. But I am stumped. How can I diagnose this problem?
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 16, 2013 09:31 PM
Is the foam white when it is hitting the wall, or dark for a half a second then foams up? What size chamber and what pressure are you spraying at? What about the temps of the materials in the drum? Where is your fluid temperature sensor and how much of the hose was left on the hose rack? You mention a CS gun. From the off position, did you turn the safety knob on the back one click to the left or two clicks into the variable flow mode? CS gun should be giving you a great pattern. You should be able to get your supplier out there to help you on the job.

George
paul rogers
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 08:16 AM
1100 psi. TSU is 50' from gun. material temps 65.
02 chamber. The first time 150' of hose was left coiled on the wall of the rig. the second time we had all 250' out. A lot of hose outside, 25 degrees outside. We were doing 2 crawl spaces on a large house.
For 5 seconds we get a good pattern, then it goes away. 1st setting to the left, the fully open position, middle position. Supplier is in Spring Texas. Had Cell Tech reps for two years with Bayer.
Former sprayers. Saw them every 90 days. Have not seen the new college educated, never sprayed foam rep. Cell Tech got replaced with factory guys. But have yet to see them!
Cory Boehs
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 12:02 PM
Razorback, you may want to try changing out the check valves on the bottom of the CS. It's the best spraying gun out there when it works, it's just getting it set up right, as I'm sure you know. We use em too!
paul rogers
Posted: Mar 17, 2013 07:27 PM
Have two Fusion CS guns.

changed every part and O-ring out twice.
put new check valves in present gun.
paul rogers
Posted: Mar 18, 2013 01:18 PM
problem solved
spraying good foam now

I put a brand new adjustable flow cap on the back of the gun. sprayed perfect right out of the gate!

Thanks George, you got me to think about a different part of the gun.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 18, 2013 02:10 PM
You're welcome, glad you got it figured out.
paul rogers
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 09:11 AM
same problem. 50% of the time we have splatter/firehose foam.

Stumped !
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 10:08 AM
Does the spatter foam still make good quality foam? Sounds like the material is too hot.

George
paul rogers
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 05:52 PM
splatter foam is good foam on the wall. I had it cranked up to 140 because everybody said your foam is cold. This is CCX (polar) We have it back to
127-129 hose & pre-heaters. material is 65-70.
fusion cs with 02 chamber. 250' of hose is all 1/2"
filters clean at the gun and proportioner. We used to pull out the side seals sometimes in the past and "unstick" them. But they look good.
mark moyer
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 02:41 PM
you dont tell us ambient temps and substrate temps...which matter more with close cell foams..
havent shot polar pro for some time but my memory recalls that they brew it "hot"..and it has a "narrow" winder of processing parameters,,,much like the winter closed cell we are slingin today for that matter (not critical,,juat a statement,,fine,,fine product as i recall),,,so that being said...
try this,,,
after you are warmed up and spraying a decent pattern,,,start backing you temps down 3 degrees,,hose and primarys,,,watch your pattern,,,watch your tip,,,when the pattern splits,,the foam will be splatterin again and the tip will be gummin up again(foam buggers),,back it down another 3,,,pending on your ambient/substrate imma guessin you will find you will process that polar pro down around 117 primarys and 115 hose,,,even lower as spring rolls around,,,as you are movein fluid you will lower your temps...look at the pattern,,like georgeous said look at the fluid hittin the wall,,it should be carmel colored and not white...semi-liguid state,,,it is not foamin out of the tip,,,foam buggers prevail...
when you stop for lunch or a long break you may want to bump it up 3-6 degrees,,or not,,,remember the day should be heatin up too...
i can see how they say/think you are cold...even the big machines in a heated spray rig may have a delta t of 50 degrees(to hellwith the manual),,,you do the math 60+50=...and
if you really have 1/2 hose,,(respectfully,,i doubt it,,its prolly 3/8)going out 250' you may be looking at the inability to process the amount of fluid you are attemting to proccess & deliver here...kinda like a 70 chamber in the e30 machine,,,the machine cant keep up...been there,,saw that,,help me here george,,,goddess...
paul rogers
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 10:42 PM
'dude your prose is great. Helps break up the chatter as some of us get too serious about this foam business.
substrate was 40-45. outside temps 20-30.
IR gun says 65 for the top of the resin. I figure bottom has to be much cooler.
I do not actually know how cold the bottom material is, but I put a wedge under the resin barrel and put a small fan nearby. sprayed perfect tuesday.
Prior to that, Fixed a few minor air leaks, replaced the gun block and whips with new.
But the extra heat to the bottom, I think is the answer.
mark moyer
Posted: Mar 29, 2013 09:10 AM
...re:cold bottom...
which is why i,,god forbid,,use a band heater as close to the bottom of the drum as i can get it,,tis where the fluid is being pulled from...so put the heat there..hillbilly...
now i may give that rheostat on the band heater a twist up in temp when we are actively circulateing to bring up the fluid temp fast,,,but man be careful with the closed cell resins,,and you will get a feel for how "touchy" th blend is you are workin with...
but once we are shootin we want to be able to touch that band heater,,sing the song "hey 98.6" and you will get it,,maybe,,,if you can lay your hand on the band heater you aint gonna boil the resin,,hillbilly,,,lick yur fingers first,,lol
(if you runnin 200-250 up on theA side..give it a little more heat,,,its that viscosity thing,,,
thin that booger out a little more...pressures need to be equal,,who said temps need to be??hmmm....)
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Apr 06, 2013 09:41 PM
sorry, been slammed at work! I'll try to be more active...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.