Q&A Forums

Small Spray Foam Job Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
rob walker
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 07:59 PM
Small Spray Foam Job
Gentlemen,
Here's my dilemma: I'm renovating my house, and converting a porch into a dining room. Due to the flat pitch of the roof, I need to insulate with foam, because the roof will be unvented (only 2x6 rafters).

The dimensions of the space are essentially 10ftx20ft (200 square feet). I've contacted several foam companies in the DFW area and the problem is no one is willing to spray a project this small.

Do I have any options other than the frothpak kits that offer a 600 board foot solution for about $750 delivered?

Does anyone on this forum know of any cool guys in Dallas willing to spray a little puny job like this?

Thanks for all the other good avice I have read here.

Rob
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 11:16 AM
Buy the frothpak. It will work fine. Are you going to insulate the walls as well as the ceiling?

regards,

olger
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 09:43 PM
you can do a reasonable job with boardstock,,adhesive, fasteners, caulks, can foamed and the like...

cut the boardstock to the rafter width,,SEAL THE EDGES, SEAMS AND CRACKS with the stuff suggested above... consider r-10 in 2" boardstock...3 layers,,,r-30...but it is only as good as your install..
or better yet,,consider,,,2 layers of board stock,,and seal the top layers seams and cracks with the 100 brd ft froth pack...

foamers,,,this is what we tell peeps to do over the phone,,yes it takes a few moments of our precious time to explain,,(frequently more than once),,,yes they really appreciate it,,yes they typically buy the kit from me...yes they will remember/recommend me in the future.foam good :)

ps: hi ger
Mike Sharpe
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 11:10 PM
robert drop me a line i am in Fort Worth. I will take care of you www.northtexasprofoam.com
rob walker
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 09:40 AM
NorthTexasProFoam,
Thanks for the offer, I'll contact you within the week (I'm a video dude and have shoots through Sunday).

Thanks to the other respondents as well.
Olger: Only one wall of the new dining room will be exposed to the elements (I have a "U" shaped house and the porch is in the bottom of the U, if you will.) The exterior wall is 15' of double insulated JeldWen "full lite" fir doors (two operable, three fixed) and then standard walls on either side. For wall insulation, I was going to froth (mostly to seal gaps) and then fiberglass.

Foamdude: Thanks for this suggestion. I had thought of a foam board/froth hybrid option as you described. Pricing it out, that solution is about $950 and would take (at my pace) the better part of an entire weekend - most likely two weekends. It is my second option.

What sticks in my head, though is the relative ease of the job for a pro, the speed in which they could do it, and more importantly, the quality of the finished product afterwards.

It's too bad that the economics of the process prevent these little jobs from being considered by most contractors, because there are more home renovators like me out there (and I know a few of them) who are willing to pay a grand to insulate a space they could easily do themselves with fiberglass for $200, because foam is a superior product.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Rob
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 06:17 PM
Two 600 bf froth packs can cost in the neighborhood of 1300. That isn't too terrible far off from 1000. Figure your board feet and you might not need two of them. 200 ft² @ 3" = 600 bf. 200 ft² @ 4" = 800 bf.

The wall would be hard pressed to be more than 200 bf (as you define it). I'd do it myself iff'n I were you.

ps. Hi Dr. `dude!
foam great
rob walker
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 10:42 AM
Well it is amazing what I am willing to pay versus what my wife is willing to pay :)

Two Frothpacks including shipping is actually $1500. Even a $1000 solution was not favored knowing a $400 solution exists and will perform adequately.

Looks like I will be going with a hybrid solution of some fashion. No biggie.
Mike Sharpe
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 04:12 PM
Robert where are you located in DFW. I am sure i can help you out and save you some money just drop me a line www.northtexasprofoam.com

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.