Q&A Forums

Clean Up Question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jasson Fey
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 11:16 PM
Clean Up Question
Alright yesterday after spraying a typical new construction wall/ ceiling job I was watching the guys clean up and had an idea. We opened all windows and doors and had a breeze blowing through and i was watching the guys chase popcorn sized pieces of foam around and I wondered if we could use a blower/vac to suck it up, some new models also have a mulch feature, what do you all (yall to me) think? Any other interesting tricks?
I am always looking for new tricks to leave a job site as clean or cleaner then when we got there
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 28, 2007 11:14 AM
Should work fine. J&R products has some good vacuums.

800-343-4446
Ron McMullin
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 05:53 PM
I use a blower/vac all the time. You just need to be aware that the pieces you suck up need to be small enough for the impeller to chop them up. Also, Blower vacs are intended to be used periodically about once or twice a year, so don't be supprised that they will only last about 40 hours before they quit working
Jasson Fey
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 08:17 PM
i was going to get either a stihl or echo ( for durability ) what do you use?? and thanks for the feedback
Ron McMullin
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 11:25 PM
I use electric blower/vacs, Toro with the metal impeller. Reason, small engine problems, and the fact that small engines are designed for about 40 hours of use, Lawn Mowers, etc. only last about 40 hours before you need repair or buy new. That is all they seem to be designed for. Think about how the equipment is normaly used, a few hours at a time, a couple of times a year....
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 05:06 PM
One thing that I've considered is using a portable dust collector used for small wood shops and making bags out of geotexile (landscape fabric) just gluing the edges. with the 5 inch intake and exost it should handle foam scrap ok.

what do you think?
thanks
Airpro
Ron McMullin
Posted: Mar 30, 2007 05:30 PM
Sure, just keep the bag small enough to handle. I have taken that Idea as well, except I place a drum liner in a 55 gallon drum, and blow the debris into that, it took a little duct tape, but the landscape fabric is what I use.
Posted: Apr 09, 2007 10:07 AM
We use the vac and it does great. You still need to pick up the bigger pieces, but for 1/2 pound it chops up 3-4 inch fine. We also use a trash can liner bag inside the vac bag for easier disposal. The small chips blow all over. Now we just grab the bag, tie it and toss it in the trailer.
philip mullins
Posted: Apr 10, 2007 06:58 PM
you guys found any use for the debris yet? if not, how do you dispose of it? tx
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Apr 11, 2007 02:59 AM
We have been giving all of our leftovers to one of my neighbors. Him and his wife are both disabled so we have been dumping all of our cutoff foam in their attic ceiling. yea its not as effective as direct applied or celly.... but every bit helps when you can't afford more insulation, and to them its free.... so we both win.
Posted: Apr 11, 2007 08:38 AM
We use some our scrap as packing material for mailing gift boxes to family and friends. Now, no one in my family wonders what it is we do. We also drop some of at a local company that uses it in their shipping dept.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.