Q&A Forums

Off Ration Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 06:45 PM
Off Ration
To make a long story shorter, I took out my P2 Transfer Pump that has been sitting in the A Side of a 1/2 pound set for almost a year.

Took the pump apart, cleaned out and ran dynasolve through the pump for about an hour recirculating in a five gallon bucket, doing this several times.

Over the course of 2 days doing a job for myself at my plant, we used five sets of 3 Pound roofing foam and came up a barrel of B Side (Not A) short.

The foam laid out a little softer (almost a 2 pound consistency) and took a little longer to cure.(No tackiness) In addition to that, we really got inconsistant roofing foam with some spots that was sprayed out expanding almost twice as much as others with no overlap being applied, just an even pattern.

Went through at least 6-8 fusion guns several times each day (cleaning each) with crossover problems and suffered through E-24 for the whole 2 days.

I just picked up a brand new T-1 last night and will intall on the A Side and am hoping that this solves the problem.

Would these problems be consistant with being off ratio using more B than A?

Also, could this have been my problem of trying to spray a "Perfectly Flat Roof"?

Any input would be appreciated!

Steve
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 07:23 PM
Should be off ratio, the fingers type faster than the brain thinks sometime!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 09:54 PM
That sounds like a real dog's breakfast. Foam will likely blister over time.

If the pump was the problem, a new one will fix it. Could be some crystals in the hose as well. Get everything clean and it should spray well.
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 10:01 PM
Thanks Olger

Whats the best way to clean crystals out of the line?

Steve
Linerman
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 08:25 PM
Did you just take the pump apart, cleaned it then put it back together using the seals that were in it?

If you have crystalized iso in your lines you're gonna have to replace them because there's no way you can clean them out.
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 09:14 PM
Yes, I took it aprt and cleaned using the same seals.

I did replace with a new T 1 though. I think that the only promlem that I had in my hoses was remnants of Dynasolve mixed with Iso causing it to foam up.

Set reactor at 1500 PSI and blew out the line and everything seems to work fine now.
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 09:53 PM
...if my fried grey headed mind remembers right...
from the gusmer foam mechanic accredidation course...
you clean out lines via volume,,,not pressure,,,
somethin about the high pressure flow leaves some residual fluid in the hose itself (it is porus and not a smooth membrane),,,kinda like it blasts right past the residual fluid and forces the fluid deeper into the lining of the hose...
'dude

as a sidebar
the internet is full of good information on the principles of fluid flow, hydraulics,, and air flow,,,
it is good reading....

ps: the girls of sprayfoammagazine.com are the bomb,,,
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 10:11 PM
I have been preaching pressure over volume for years to my wife.

Nice to spray again with no problems, just overspray. Sprayed 10 cars at a lawyers office on Friday that was upwind two blocks away.

I think that I am going to start sidelining as a car detailer. They make pretty good money if they follow me around.

I really think that if it can be done with spray foam, I have done it.

Damn attorneys!
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 07:22 AM
..if you look hard you might see those attorneys followin you too!!! lol
good luck
'dude
George Colliard
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 04:42 PM
Dear Sir,
We would be glad to solve your overspray problem utilizing our 42 years of experience having removed overspray from over 200,000 vehicles. We are the largest and oldest overspray management company in the industry.

Our expert technicians will be able to work on the claim site removing the overspray from the vehicles safely by hand using an exclusive patented rubber eraser pad. Vehicle exteriors will be hand detailed after the overspray is removed.

Our on site management team will provide signed pre-inspection reports on vehicle damage you are not responsible for and they will secure releases from satisfied claimants.

Our pricing is most reasonable and our work is guaranteed.

Please visit our website at: www.overspray.com. for more information.

Sincerely,

George Colliard, President
mason
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 06:23 AM
Dynasolve will react with the A side in your pump and form crystals. It can also spread throughout your equipment including your lines. You should flush the pump out with a plasticizer such as TCP or DOP. I don't know if you can save the lines. Flush them with some diesel fuel then leave TCP in the lines for a few days. It might help neutralize any solvent that remains in your system.

And yes your foam is off ratio (B rich) and probably needs to be removed and resprayed.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.