Q&A Forums

Mid density foam? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 12:55 PM
Mid density foam?
I just got finished with the pex tubing and poured the slap in our pole building project. Now I have to move on the insulation. One of the applicators asked me if I would be interested in a higher density open cell foam. He said it has an R value around 4.8 per inch and is stiffer than the .5 lb foam, plus cheaper. I saw a product by Foametix (Foametix 100) with the same claims. Is this too new to take a chance on? Will it stick to our metal siding as well as 2lb foam?

Thanks,
Ron Camerata
mason
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 02:40 PM
Ron,

The 1.0 density foam is relatively new on the market place. I have limited experience with it and hesitate to provide recommendations. From the data sheets of the two foams I have seen, it can be a relative open cell or closed cell product. Compressive strength around 10 psi, but the most important item is missing on the data sheet, its humid aging test data. This test gives you an idea of its relative dimensional stability in hot humid and cold climates. I would want to see this data before specifying it as well as some field applications in cold and hot humid climates that have gone through a few winter and summer climate cycles.

I would be happy to take this on as a project if one or both of the suppliers would want me to evaluate the foam.

Any takers?
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 01:19 PM
Mason

Give me a shout at the office 770-607-0755 I have test results from PRI on our 1.0 pound
mason
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 01:48 PM
Mark,

Will do, thanks

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.