Q&A Forums

Material Temp & ship Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 05:02 AM
Material Temp & ship
Has anyone ever had their trailer drop below freezing temp...with material.... down to 10 or 15 F then reheat the material?

If so what material (manufacture, etc)

anyone ever have issues with shippments of material in a unheated trailer/warehouse?
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 10:05 AM
The material I received on my last shipment was very cold. Prior to that shipment the foam was fairly warm, about 50deg. They told me they had a heated whse so I wasn't concerned about it. We put in in our heated shop right away. When we went to spray the next day the foam was still cold and it slowed us down considerably.

just another lesson learned.
Very important to start with foam about 70deg not 35 deg.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 04:16 PM
Our big MH rig sits outside, so it was exposed to -6° last Monday.

Not worried about that one bit. Not a bit.

olger
Glenn Gamblin
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 11:04 PM
I'm up here in Northern Texas where the temperature dips to -40 below and have had no problems. Ok, so I lied. But I have had it get down to 6 degrees with no problems.
dennis ballew
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 12:42 AM
I try to my tr. at 60deg. with elec heater,but away from home and no place to plug into elec. i had to come up with something new. I bought a heating pad at wal-mart for about $20. I wraped it around the mat. hoses right befor they go into the perportioner. works great ! save your money, it dosn't matter what temp. your barrles are - the temp. of mat. when it gets to the pumps is what counts. This really works ! Keep pushin' foam But don't be so greedy as to run down the next guy down the road spraying. pay backs aren't allways good ! Cat
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 06:56 AM
???how do you power the heating pad if you have no electricty?

thinking outloud,,,over the am coffee....
no harm intended,,,foam good,,,
it would seem that once you are pulling fluids through the feed line hose, the proportioner ,,the hose set and out the gun that you would move to much fluid to fast for this to be effective,,,,the fluid would have to sit,,,for some time,,,idle under the pad to obtain some of the heat generated,,,idle is the key here,,we are moving fluids...3gallon/minute thru a 3/4" supply line will not allow the fluid to get alot of exposure to the wrapped hose line,,,
you may also experience a burst of "cold" fluid due to these temp "swings" and this could cause you to go off ratio..
i would consider wrapping the heating pad to the drum to heat the entire bulk of fluids,,,
(this would also work as a heat sink to help keep the trailer warm)
yes the temp at the proportioner is paramount...
lets see....delta T = 60 degrees for a 12.5kw heater,,temp in 60 degrees + max heat available (if 100% efficient)60 degrees (delta T),,,
60+60=120 degrees,,,so your proportioner can be set at 135 or whereever,,and at best the fluid can be 120 degrees,,,spraying on the edge???

i have seen mats used under drums,,,although these are commercial grade to take the weight,,,
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 09:41 PM
A delta-T of 60* seems really low for a 12,500 watt heater, or were you being hypothetical?

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 07:18 AM
(hypothetical: to provoke dialoge and thought!!
good to see your thinkin tim!! :) )
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 02:41 PM
My flux capacitor at 2.2 jigawatts has no trouble bringing the material up to temp!!

Tim
Posted: Feb 17, 2007 09:32 AM
(deloren spray rig,,,cool!!)
Posted: Feb 17, 2007 10:11 AM
GSSFC,Where would I buy a "Flux capacitor"?Hollywood?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 17, 2007 11:01 PM
They are next to the muffler bearings at Pep Boys.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 03:15 AM
yea, just like you have to change the air in your tires from summer air to winter air....

it still doesn't answer the question at hand.... come on guys...
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 09:03 PM
what olger said,,,,,,
you can let it get cold,,but you must bring it up to adequate temperature to be processed,,,
the colder 55 gallons of anything gets,,the longer it takes to warm up...(thermal mass...der)
Jim Hollander
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 10:48 AM
I have been in the business of making heaters to keep your hands warm on snowmobiles, ATVs, motorcycles and snowthrowers for 27 years. China is starting to take its toll on business, but the Chinese cannot install foam insulation here in the USA, so now I am exploring spraying foam insulation with a contractor's spray foam rig.

This cold temperature problem with material getting crystalized has me wondering if there are any specialty heaters that we could make to serve the spray foam industry. Are all the protective heating needs of all commonly used equipment met now?

If not, what should I be looking at for prototyping custom heaters? My trailer rig includes the smaller Graco E-20 proportioner.
quentin
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 07:15 PM
The only thing I have seen for heating barrels is the band barrel heater that CPi carries and have no idea how well it works or anything. You may want to google "barrel heater" or etc and see what you find.

I plan to use a chemical heater which required powdered charcoal, sulfur and some Salt Peter. The Delta T is supposed to be incredible!
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 08:09 PM
I have a barrel band heater that is very effective. It did not come from CPI. Only to be used on water blown "B" foam however. We do not preheat the "A".

Tim
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 08:16 PM
I use 1000 watt band heaters. I warm the B drum so that it is coming into the proportioner at 80 deg F minimum, 100 degrees is better. I make sure that I heat my trailer overnight, the A drum is 60 minimum. I am only spraying water blown foam. What temps do you guys need the B drum of 245 foams to be in the winter? How warm is too warm? At what temp do you lose blowing agent?

George
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 08:16 PM
I use 1000 watt band heaters. I warm the B drum so that it is coming into the proportioner at 80 deg F minimum, 100 degrees is better. I make sure that I heat my trailer overnight, the A drum is 60 minimum. I am only spraying water blown foam. What temps do you guys need the B drum of 245 foams to be in the winter? How warm is too warm? At what temp do you lose blowing agent?

George

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.