Q&A Forums

maintenance schedule Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
lane cunningham
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 11:34 PM
maintenance schedule
ive been told by an unreliable source that i need to put a "maintenance" coat on my spray foam roof that is now 10 years old. is it best to go by number of years or visual inspection? What do you look for in a visual inspection? maybe i dont need to be concerned at all. i sure do love the roof though, everything it was susposed to be.
mason
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 08:02 AM
The coating installed as part of a SPF roofing system typically requires a recoat every 10 to 15 years depending on the type of coating, its original thickness, and wear due to environmental factors.

An inspection should be performed by a knowledgeable person. (For small roofs this service is typically performed by a contractor or suppliers rep. For larger roofs, an independent consultant (such as Mason Knowles Consulting) can be helpful in obtaining an objective evaluation and recoat recommendations.

The inspector will perform a visual and physical inspection of the roof detailing on a roof sketch anomalies such as defective flashing, poor drainage, visual signs of thin coating, blisters, coating or foam delamination, and much more

The inspector will take slit and core samples to determine the type and thickness of the coating and the foam, its adhesion to the foam, the compressive strength of the foam and its adhesion to the substrate. He will look for,
degraded foam under the coating which would indicate that the coating is not protecting against the sun.

Most recoats include, powerwashing the roof, repair of damage such as cuts gouges in the foam, repair of blisters (if any). Then 1 to 2 coats of an elastomeric coating compatible to the existing coating is installed.

In some cases, the sprayfoam or coating may require partial tear-off (if installed incorrectly). If you are not seeing blisters in the foam or coating, chances are the roof was installed correctly.

Many companies offered extended warranties on recoats so check with suppliers. Also go to sprayfoam.org and check out the SPFA technical document AY 122 Renewal of SPF Roofing Systems. It is a detailed guide on the inspection,repair and recoat of a sprayfoam roof.

I can't tell you that your roof requires a recoat at this time. Some coatings can last 15 to 20 years before requiring a recoat in certain circumstances.

Definitely get a second opinion
Hope this helps
lane cunningham
Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:47 PM
thanks so much for your detailed reply. ifailed to mention the house is in palm springs ca. i will get in tuoch with my contractor. now i feel i can talk intelligently with him. thanks again

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.