Q&A Forums

log home Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Buddy Rumsey
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 10:10 AM
log home
Dear Mason,
I am restoring a log home that used basic mortar as the chinking material between the logs. The restoration involves removing the old cement mortar and after preparing the logs I spray with great stuff foam between the logs, and after it is set I shave it flat and apply a elasttic chinking material over the foam. (Perma-Chink, Log-Jam,etc...) It works fine but it is pricy! I buy the great stuff foam from my local hardware store and hope I can hit a sale. Is there a more economical way for me to prchase the foam? Is there a better application mode than just individual cans. The gaps between the logs can be very small, and in some cases 4-6 inches.
Buddy
mason
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 11:05 AM
I am not sure about the overall application, (concerned about movement in the logs) I would recommend getting some advice from an experienced foamer about this use of sprayfoam.

Has anyone of our foamers out there had experience with the type of application described here? I would welcome your observations and comments.

Having qualified that, many foam suppliers distribute foam kits that can range in size from a few pounds to over 30 lb units and have higher densities than the single component sprayfoam. Most come with disposable mixing or spray nozzles. Check out SprayFoamMagazine.com's Buyers Guide section for more information.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 08:28 PM
Hi CRob. (Hi mase).

I sprayed foam on a log home chinking back in 2000. Still working fine. I would be glad to email a few pictures of it, if needed.

(that was the most labor and least material of any job in 23-years).

I recommend a froth pack as a more appropriate system (keep it good and warm and you'll have good results).

Best wishes,

oG
Buddy Rumsey
Posted: Oct 24, 2007 08:58 AM
Thanks for the reply, I must pleade ignorance and admit that I do not know what a "Froth pack" is. Can you explain?
Buddy
mason
Posted: Oct 24, 2007 05:50 PM
A "froth pak" is a pressurized bottle foam kit that I mentioned in the earlier response. They come in many different sizes and types.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Oct 28, 2007 11:23 AM
Get a froth pack that will "run a bead of foam" some have a fan spray pattern. You will like this, way better then little cans of foam and you will be able to adjust the flow of foam. You could also get the 24oz cans of foam with the gun that screws onto the can. They work good and you can adjust the bead size also.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.