Q&A Forums

Lacquer chemical reaction to open cell Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Curtis Sandall
Posted: Dec 06, 2010 07:27 PM
Lacquer chemical reaction to open cell
One of our local contractors built a home about 3 years ago and had open cell foam applied to underside of roofdeck. After the foam was applied he installed wood t&g for the ceiling. After about a week he noticed that everywhere there was a recessed can light or at the corners of the clg/ext wall, the lacquer finish turned orange. He told me that it cost him over $2,000 to fix it. I dont know what brand of foam was used but he is building another home that requires t&g clg and said he will never use foam again w/ that combination.He told me that through his investigation, he talked to another contractor who had the same problem and he had to tear down the clg completely because it was so bad. Has anyone ever heard of this problem.
quentin
Posted: Dec 06, 2010 09:12 PM
Sounds like moisture to me from what I remember from old woodshop classes. Hot can lights will have that with cooler air around them I would think. Corners could have the same issues from a thermal difference with the header and corner bracing all coming together creating thermal bridge but that is a guess.

Right guess and track or am I way off on that possability?
steven argus
Posted: Dec 07, 2010 11:17 AM
The contractor is blaming the foam? We've done quite a few roofs as you describe with zero problems. With open cell foam, we spray apply a vapor retarder directly to the foam before the T&G. Lacquer finish turning orange? Any woodworkers care to chime in? Where's Norm Abram when ya need him?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.