Q&A Forums

ISO Rich Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Yvan Richard
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 03:43 PM
ISO Rich
When spraying my resin side pressure (Graco E30) is very low compared to the iso. The final product results in a crusty surface and does not bond to the substrate that well. This also results in a more direct spray from the gun, making it difficult to have a nice smooth surface.
When I cut the foam open it looks fine. Is the resin not hot enough, should I be warming up the drum prior?
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 04:09 PM
Hey Born to Spray

We had the same problem last month when the weather began to get colder. The Reisin side is a lot thicker than the ISO making preheat extremely necessary.

I never noticed a problem with cold temperature before because my E-20 only sprayed about 14-16 pounds a minute. Once I went to a Gama 250H, I really noticed the problem.

Your E-30 sprays 30 pounds a minute and depending upon which size spray chamber you are using 01,02,03 you may be using more material than what can be warmed up.

Try preheating the drums using drum heaters and if you cant find any, take the twin size heater blankets from Walmart ($26.o0) wrap around and let heat up over night before you leave to spray.

You will find it a lot easier to get your pressures consistantly closer and easier to keep a nice pattern.

Cold weather is a bummer, seem like I learn something new every winter.

Goodluck!

Steve
Yvan Richard
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 10:28 PM
Thanks Steve,

I put a band heater on it tonight, I will try to keep it on all day.
clint moore
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 09:19 AM
ALSO TRY TURNING UP YOUR PREHEATS 5-10 DEGREES,RUN YOUR B SIDE APPROX. 10 DEGREES HIGHER TO BALANCE OUT.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 08:53 PM
Be careful leaving your bandheater on all night!
Posted: Jan 17, 2010 08:44 PM
Loaned my guys out to a friendly competitor for a day on a job this past year. The guys told me they were spraying 1/2 Pound and the competitor insisted on 2 band heaters on the B Side.

One of my guys went out to their truck to grab something and he said foam was gushing out of the B Side Barrel running off the back of the box truck.

Looked like a Foam party if you have ever been to one!
jeff henderson
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 06:42 PM
With the colder temps we had around Manitoba this Christmas, even the gargantuan heaters on my E20 couldn't keep up.

My sprayer did his own house over the Christmas break...nothing but resin low pressure issues the entire time, not to mention a serious lack of rise in the foam. Essentially he varnished his house. Slowly. Painfully. If it had been a 'real' job, there is no way we would have even tried.

Only solution is to super-heat the back of the trucks, re-circ for longer than normal, and expect to break every now and then to re-circ during the work day.

Lots of heaters.
jeff henderson
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 06:51 PM
Lots of big heaters.

Forgot to mention that my sprayer had three sets of chemical delivered...stored overnight in the truck - breaker tripped for the heaters...so of course overnight temps plummet to some ungodly temperature.

So here is a math quiz for you: how many BTU's required to bring 3,150 pounds of -35 chemical to +70? And for bonus marks, how long will it take using a 1,500 watt electric heater? (or two wal-mart electric blankets!)
Layton Warren
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 08:14 AM
raise the drtums off the floor so that the air can circulate around them. Get a portable diesel fired heater and you could be ready in as little as a few hours. With small electric heaters you are likely looking at a couple of days. Best scenario is to park in a heated building so you don't have to worry about breakers tripping.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 09:37 AM
To properly heat drums it needs to be done slowly, over night. Heating to fast will create hot spots that can boil off the blowing agent reducing the yield and risk making a big mess. Drums need to be up off the floor and heated from underneath. You can combine this with using drum blankets. There is a new drum heating systems that you set your drums on so there off the floor. It heats them from the bottom overnight using very little energy so you won't need to worry about tripping breakers. It has a temperature setting to prevent over heating. I'm not sure if it's even out on the market yet. You can call 330-705-6651 ask for Jim.
chad harris
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 04:20 PM
We tilt are drums on one side and blow heat on the drums with a kerosene turbo heater for 15 minutes then mix it and bam! Were ready to go! Don't have to worry about the shop burning down over night. However, we were having the same problems you described and thought the drums werent getting warm enough. Wrong! We ended up having a floater in the iso line, talk about frustrating!
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jan 30, 2010 08:51 AM
Check out the home page here. It shows the drum warmer I was talking about. The Barrel Blazer System by Sprayworks Equipment. Works great!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.