Q&A Forums

Intumescent Coatings Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Derek Martz
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 05:16 PM
Intumescent Coatings
Hello,
We text earlier on my attic being non-vented and the supplement that allows me not to condition that space, however, I really would like to use an intumescent coating over my cc 2lb foam in my attic area due to its awkward size restraints and angles.
I know I can use fiberglass or drywall etc... as an ignition barrier, but I am trying to keep it wide open for easy access to walls and ceiling spaces. And I do not want any fiberglass in my house if possible, but nobody can satisfy my inspector with technical data to allow me to cover my foam with a product such as a FF 88, or Aldocoat 757 which are both supposedly approved for my situation, but both have failed to produce data to prove that fact. What can I do, my foam installer is no longer helpful, he does not install intumescent coatings over foam, and doesn't really have any other info.
Is there anyone around who does this or a product which I can spray on the foam? I can get my foam name and manufacturer, but it seems that its talked about, but never done, I need your help....to me its my only option, but I cant seem to make it reality.
mason
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 08:06 PM
Your code official wants to see an ICC Evaluation Report that specifically lists the intumescent coating with a specific foam.

You can obtain these reports from the foam suppliers. For example, NCFI has an evaluation report using Aldo. I believe others such as Icynene and Demilec have evaluation reports with intumescent coatings as well.

Others may have evaluation reports as well. Ask around your supplier community.

Note: The testing procedure used to obtain these reports is undergoing evaluation and is probably going to revised in the very near future. At that time, companies will probably have to retest their systems to maintain their evaluation reports.
Derek Martz
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 09:04 PM
Thank you, i believe my foam is icynene. I will try to get report from them .
richard sucher II
Posted: Mar 04, 2008 11:23 AM
you can get the report yourself. go to www.icc-es.org - then click on reports and type in Icynene. One thing that you need to watch is limitation of foam thickness for this product. I think that Icynene is limited to six inch thickness. NCFI "sealite" is tested to 12" thickness. Big difference. In Icynene's case, you may not be able to qualify with intumescent coating ignition barrier - may need to go to thermal barrier rating. Good luck.
Derek Martz
Posted: Mar 04, 2008 07:27 PM
Thanks for for the input. My foam installer said he switched brands, and didn't use icyene but used resin-tech, so I will try to contact Henry/Permax for info thanks again. Also, I only have 5.5-6 inch of foam in rafter bays which he stated was equal to approx. R-30.
richard sucher II
Posted: Mar 05, 2008 01:19 PM
i checked ICC-ES.org for Henry/resin technology/permax and only found report for their roofing/coating system - report # ER4630 - 2004. No report on interior foam system. Ask applicator for report on material that he used. Could be that he used two pound roofing foam - not sure what thickness or coating would be rated in your application. Would not pay until this situation is resolved; foam system used may not have ratings for this application. Good luck.
Derek Martz
Posted: Mar 09, 2008 09:46 PM
Does anyone know if there is an ICC evaluation report on comfort foam. I cannot seem to find it, I found icyene and ncfi, but having trouble finding comfort foam.
richard sucher II
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 07:39 PM
have not checked icc-es for "comfortfoam" report - this foam system is now BASF Foam Enterprises - look that up to see what you get. CF was residential sidewall foam that FE marketed prior to BASF purchase. Good luck.
richard sucher II
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 12:29 PM
do not know of any closed cell foam system - sidewall - not roofing - that has a current ICC-ES report. NCFI has had one for Insulstar and it is currently being reviewed. Last i saw for this product was 2005 - they are reviewed each year.

As far as BASF is concerned - they are awaiting reports on both Sealtite and Comfortfoam - this is what local rep tells me. Could come at any time.

Have not researched other sytems such as Biobased's two pound system - they may have one. Only ones i know of for sure are the open celled products.
Derek Martz
Posted: Mar 13, 2008 11:36 AM
My inspector is going to allow me to use Aldocoat 757 on my 2lb foam, he believes that the properties of all 2 lb cc foams are too similar not to be able to use 757 on resintech. I tried finding the ICC report # but can't find it, I do however, have the actual burn test data video and report, but no ICC report number??? All he needs is a memorandum or report number and I'm golden! Any answeres, I'll keep looking.
mason
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 08:34 PM
Google ICC evaluation services and go to their website. You can access an online list of all ICC evaluation reports from that. The listing would be under the foam company not the coating company. I think NCFI uses Aldo with their foam.
Derek Martz
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 07:43 AM
Thanx, I found it and he is happy. I appreciate all the effort from everyone to help me with this problem. Should anyone I know use foam, I'll definitely tell them to come here for answers, all you guys and gals are the BEST!!!!! And I can buy Aldocaoat 757 from manufacturer, for $50 a gallon.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.