Q&A Forums

Where are we with the shingle companies? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Lane Hogstad
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 02:00 PM
Where are we with the shingle companies?
Just got off the phone with the local lumber yard they said no vent no shingle warranty. I called cerainteed they said the same. Do you have a list of companies that do cover unvented spaces? What is the truth?
Thanks Lane
mason
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 02:46 PM
I don't have a list. I know Elk is one of the companies that will warranty shingles in unvented attics. By the way, independent researchers (non sprayfoam guys) who have studied the issue agree that unvented attics do little to affect the life of a shingle. Other factors affecting the temperature of the shingle more include:
Color of the shingle
Direction the roof is facing
How hot the climate

Funny, but the shingle manufacturers do not exclude shingle warranties in hot climates or that facing the East or West or that are dark colored.

Carl Cash (former chair of ASTM Roofing Committee and recipient of their prestiguous Cullen Award.)opined in a research paper he presented at the RICOWI seminar in 2001 that he would love to testify in court against a shingle manufacture who was trying to enforce that warranty exclusion.
To be consistent Cash observed that shingle warraties would only be valid in climates similar to Minnesota facing South that are white in color.
Lane Hogstad
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 03:00 PM
Would the shingle companies be ok if we as insulators would install a cooling system so their shingles would stay cool a giant coil system? How about a large umbrella.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 08:08 PM
I thought Certainteed was on par with Elk on this issue.

oG
Lane Hogstad
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 08:40 PM
OG When I spoke with them on the phone the man said no no no... I checked the web site and read their warranty and it said you could. I called them back and once again another man said no no no... I have no idea where I am now other than probably without the job. You tell me.
Lane
Derek Martz
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 09:02 PM
I have just built my house and foamed it as a sealed envelope with Mason's help. I used Tamko shingles, and they said it would not affect the warranty.
Circle-D
Posted: Mar 04, 2008 09:06 PM
All this talk about shingle warranties makes me wonder. Do the metal roofing mfgs. have any warranty issues with using foam?
Jason Hartkopf
Posted: Mar 05, 2008 10:47 AM
I'm going to a buying show tomorrow and will see my Certainteed rep there. I'll pump him & GAF for whatever info I can. Let you know Fri/Sat.
mason
Posted: Mar 07, 2008 07:49 AM
I am aware that Butler Buildings did not warrant their buildings when any coating or insulation is installed to the interior or exterior of the building. They may have changed their policy over the years, but I have not heard of it.
Jason Hartkopf
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 09:24 AM
Talked to my Certainteed rep, Howie Borden. He said Certainteed's warranty is not any different for hot roofs or vented attic spaces. He said information pertaining to that is on their website, but if anybody wants to talk to Howie about it, let me know.
daniel kempton
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 07:33 PM
Now that GAF and ELK have teamed up it may be better.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.