Q&A Forums

installation issue of voids in closed cell SPF Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
bernie mccourt
Posted: Aug 03, 2007 12:27 AM
installation issue of voids in closed cell SPF
Have just had Closed cell spf installed in a roof of a log home. The structure is 2x6 T&G hemlock installed over 4x8 rafters. We then installed 2x6 on edge atop the T&G, we then installed 2x4 as purlins. this provided an area of 7.5 inches for the SPF to be installed in. The installer sprayed the foam in what seemed to be heavy. At the end of the installation I began trimming the excess that was above the 2x4 purlins so the sheeting for shingles could be insatlled. In doing this I have numerous areas where the foam has large voids and the lower foam is extremely porous, with holes as large as my finger and numbering thousands and voids 18x24" by 2" deep. My question and concern is what are issues that can arise from this installation. In some of these pockets I have opened up there is water, like 1 to 3 ounces and in others the foam does not appear to have reacted correctly. the installer is wanting to respray the found voids, and insists the pores or voids are normal. I really need some advice here as I have read as much as possible and it seems the closed cell foam should not have pores or voids and water build up is extremly of concern. The roofing contractors are very hesitant to apply the sheeting and the shingles over the applied foam.

Thanks for any help or guideance as I am really in a confusing situation.
mason
Posted: Aug 03, 2007 07:14 AM
There should not be voids or water in the foam, closed or open cell. Contact the fosm supplier for their recommendations on how to address the situation.

I wouldn't cover the foam until a knowledgeable sprayfoam expert has inspected the applicaton and made an evaluation.
bernie mccourt
Posted: Aug 03, 2007 10:05 PM
I appreciate your prompt response. Could you direct me to where I can contact a knowledgeable foam spray expert in Northern West Virgina. I will gladly pay a fee for this service. As I was referred to the installer as a "good" company to deal with, but I am now seeing him duc and dodge my concerns. I have contacted BASF and am overniting samples of the foam that has been cut from the job. They believe it was applied extremly too heavy and was unable to offgas and correctly react before it was buried in another layer of foam. Basf tentatively believe it needs to be removed and reapplied correctly. They stated it should not be thicker than 1.5" per pass with 8 to 10 minutes between passes to allow for offgassing. The installed did a much greater depth with 20 to 30 sconds between passes. the water is believed to be a by product of the thermal intrapment and the offgassing, as the final depth of the form was nearly 9-12 inches deep.
mason
Posted: Aug 06, 2007 03:10 PM
contact me at masonknowles@aol.com

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.