Q&A Forums

Ignition Barrier (Not to beat a dead horse...) Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: May 21, 2009 10:40 PM
Ignition Barrier (Not to beat a dead horse...)
Mason, what is the actual versing for the Ignition Barrier in the IBC on Chapter 26. I tried pulling it up on-line, but I have to buy the entire book for $299.00.

I am tired of getting beat out on commercial jobs in the oil industry because I am the only one that tells the customer that they need to have an Ignition Barrier over closed cell in Metal buildings if they insist on not covering with 1/2" Gypsum Drywall.

Why are all of these yahoo's able to quote these jobs out without regard to the codes?

I may not be able to compete with everyone that has a spray rig and thinks it is a fast way to make a buck, but I can certainly start holding their feet to the fire so that we are all quoting out apples to apples.
mason
Posted: May 22, 2009 09:55 AM
BAyouboy,

Here it is:

"Section 314..4 Thermal Barrier:
Unless otherwise allowed in Section 314.5 or section 314.5, foam plastic shall be separated from the interior of the building by an approved thermal barrier of minimum 0.5 inch gypsum wallboard or an approved finish material that will limit the average temperature rise of the unexposed surface to no more than 250 degrees F after 15 minutes of fire exposure complying with the ASTM E 119 standard time temperature curve. The thermal barrier shall be installed in such a manner that it will remain in place for 15 minutes based on NFPA 286 iwth the acceptance criteria of Section 314.5.4, FM 4880, UL 1040 or UL 1715.

RB 314.5.3. The thermal barrier specified in section 314.4 is not required where attic access is required by section R 807.1 and where the space is entered only for service of utilities and when the foam plastic insulation is protected against ignition using one of the following materials:
1. 1.5 inches mineral fiber insulation
2. 0.25 inch thick wood structural panel
3. 0.375 inch particle board
4. 0.25 inch hardboard
5. 0.375 gypsum board
6. Corrosion resistant steel having a base metal thickness of 0.016 inch.

The above igniton barrier is not required where the foam has been tested in accordance with section 314.6

Section 314.6 Specific approval: Foam plastic not meeting the requirements of sections 314.3 through sections 314.5 shall be specifically approved on the basis of one of the following approved tests; NFPA 286 with the acceptance criteria of section 314.5.4, FM 4880, UL 1040, or UL 1715 or fire tests related to the actual end-use conmfigurations. the specific approval shall be based on the actual end use configuration and shall be performed on the finished foam plastic assembly in the maximum thickness intended for use. Assemblies tested shall include seams, joints and other typical details used in the installation of the assembly and shall be tested in the manner intended for use."

There are other exceptions such as the sill plate exception that I provided earlier.

By the way, I found it is cheaper to join ICC for $100 a year and get the latest codes electronically while they are in the development process than buying the books.
Hope this helps.
Posted: May 22, 2009 10:19 AM
Thanks Mason

Steve

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.