Q&A Forums

H-25 shore power Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Robert Hanson
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 11:53 AM
H-25 shore power
Hello everybody, another new guy here, from Newfoundland, Canada. This is really a great site, so much info here for someone getting started. I've been doing a ton of reading on different rigs/setups and am trying to figure out if we can use shore power for the H-25. We're looking at a couple of turn-key rigs with the E-20 (smaller gen = cheap), but from what I've read we'd be better off starting out with the H-25. I just can't figure out if we could run it off shore power and not have to buy an expensive gen-set. Any thoughts ?
jeff henderson
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 01:37 PM
short answer - yes you can.

long answer - there are logistical issues that can and will crop up. The SPF community is split along a shore power/gen set divide. Issues about service size, electricians wages, shore power cables stretching across driveways, etc. All surmountable, but real.

I hope our American friends will forgive me for saying this, but it seems to me that the classifieds section in this site have too many good deals to pass up right now, including inexpensive used gen sets.

To me, now is the time to buy the eqpt in the US, and not the time to cut costs on eqpt.

Just an opinion though.

ps...I love the quiet clean effortlessness of shore power. And also love the freedom of a generator. Go for both and choose what to use on each job.
Robert Hanson
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 07:29 PM
If you guys were going to use shore power and a gas powered compressor, would you go with the H-25 or the E-30
Terry Adams
Posted: Feb 10, 2010 11:21 PM
why the gas compressor ? I can't comment on the h25 but I started with a E-30 and the only problem I had was when the heater board died because one of the old style hose heat connectors came loose. Going strong for almost 5 years now. I use shore power for everything with no issues. E-30, Kobalt air compressor, Generic air dryer, Fresh air , tools, lights, etc.
Robert Hanson
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 12:05 AM
I thought I would have to use a gas compressor, to much draw and whatnot. Thanks for the info, I'd rather go with an electric compressor. How do you wire on to the jobsite panel, can you get enough power using your own breaker or do you go right in to the metre?

Thanks again
Terry Adams
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 12:44 AM
temporary/construction power down is the same as permanent service. Haven't run into any service that wouldn't push all my equipment, been on a job with a glascraft a5 setup where there was not enough amps for his compressor to start or keep running but my rig pluged into the same service sprayed without a problem. 100amp breakers of the most common used in your area is all you need, with a good shore power cable. You don't need a monster compressor I just covered the cfm my E-30 and ipm pumps needed.
Robert Hanson
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 01:20 AM
thanks terry and gotfoam, firsthand info invaluable. how big is your compressor ? Trying to figure out what I will need if I do go with the E-30 or with the H-25 (still not sure which)
Terry Adams
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 10:38 AM
Kobalt 3.5hp 11.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
Posted: Feb 11, 2010 11:52 PM
what gotfoam said,,,

respectfully,,my shore power e30 with the big azzed heaters and the 7.5 eaton,,and the air dryer,,and the band heaters,,and the 1 light(i turn off the other in the winter for just this problem) pulls right at 50 amps when every thing is hitting at the same time..(lets then add an extension cord or 2 for the foamzall corded,,lights so you can see in the house after youve covered the winders,,and more important you cant have the radio on and make lunch in the microwave!!!)
a temp pole here in the cornfield is 50 amp service at the panel...
yep you may run your shore rig,,but the siders, framers or anyone else on sight wont be able to work,,you will be pullin all the juice,,reality,,and man will they be pissed when their saws keep trippin the breakers,,,
indeed remodles will usually have the "full service" panel and you will have plenty of juice..
now then,,,that being said,,if you have equipment that needs 50 amps or there abouts,,and use a 100 amp breaker you are really takeing out the "safety factor" of the breaker for your equipment,,it will not trip untill it exceed 100 amps surge,,and you will burn up schtuff in your e30's board if power surge occurs,,,ask your local electrical shop,,,
shock the monkey!!watch the monkey get hurt,,monkey,,,
look at the electrical demands of the equipment you intend to purchace under full load,,add 20-25% for fudge factor...

gotfoam was dead on...
Terry Adams
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 12:28 AM
The 100 amp breaker is for the shore power cable at the power pole, the rigs power panel will have the appropriate breakers for the equipment inside. E-30 specs is 78amps@full load and add a fudge factor of 25% and you get 97 amps just for the e-30. If you got plenty of money by all means get you a 40kw gen set.
Posted: Feb 12, 2010 03:53 AM
johndeere teir 3 50k 3phase with 60 gallon base tank $11500 delivered,,aint to bad...
money can buy you luv
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 02:20 PM
I run a guardian a5, eaton rotary screw 7.5, air dryer, drum heaters, roof top camper heater/ac unit and whatever else the job calls for off a 2 gauge shore line no problems whatsoever. As far as compressors My eaton eats up a lot of space in the rig. Kaeser makes really small rotary screw units. Their air tower looks like a well designed package. Will probably be my next upgrade. Rotary screw has less draw on start up.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.